Opening certain threads on Grogheads trigger a .swf file download??

Started by Yskonyn, July 26, 2016, 02:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 21, 2017, 09:54:30 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on January 21, 2017, 09:52:23 AM
I got six popups when I opened this thread.

that's because all of those "Let's Play" videos that Grim Reaper posted are all using the wrong link URL, as noted above.

What can I do to prevent them?
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Greybriar on January 21, 2017, 09:56:08 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 21, 2017, 09:54:30 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on January 21, 2017, 09:52:23 AM
I got six popups when I opened this thread.

that's because all of those "Let's Play" videos that Grim Reaper posted are all using the wrong link URL, as noted above.

What can I do to prevent them?

Teach your fellow forum-goers the proper way to embed YouTube files!

I don't mean to be flippant, but that's honestly the fix - the SWF downloads are being triggered by improper linking, and I don't know enough code to manually change the mod that allows the YouTube embedding to detect/prevent the use of the wrong URL :-\
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

I didn't even know that this happened until I started to use my mac to post youtube links.  Anyway, I've learned to use the share link and placed a few points into my using youtube skill.  I still suffer from my negative intelligence modifier however.   

Greybriar

Thanks for the responses. At least I, like Bison, have learned to use the YouTube share link.

How about an announcement to bring this matter to the attention of all forum members? Including the instructions about how to link a YouTube video that are contained in a previous post in this thread should help rectify the situation.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Greybriar

Not to be a wise guy, but I doubt 95% of our forum members will ever see it there. I hadn't even noticed that sub-forum existed until you posted a link to it.

bayonetbrant

Greybriar

My guess would be the Computer Wargaming forum. Most (if not all) of us visit it.

Bison

Is it linked to the front page?  Everyone visits there.  :)

Greybriar

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Greybriar on January 21, 2017, 05:07:58 PM
My guess would be the Computer Wargaming forum. Most (if not all) of us visit it.

There's actually about 35% of the forum crowd that doesn't ever visit Computer Wargaming, based on back end stats.

Plus, if we get brand new visitors, they'd never think to look in Computer Wargaming for a user guide.

Those User Guide threads used to be spread all over the forums until we pulled them all into one place

bayonetbrant

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus