Check out the latest build of Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, January 17, 2016, 12:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 18, 2016, 12:42:21 PM
I'll make a video of the tutorial so you guys can check it out.

I was hoping to have had another video by now - do you know how much willpower it's taking for me not to cheat on you and go watch someone else's videos?! ;)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 18, 2016, 01:03:07 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 18, 2016, 12:42:21 PM
I'll make a video of the tutorial so you guys can check it out.

I was hoping to have had another video by now - do you know how much willpower it's taking for me not to cheat on you and go watch someone else's videos?! ;)

I'll have one up for you this afternoon. I don't want you wondering of the reservation and bringing back an STD.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Here's the latest video showing off part of the Basic Flight Training Tutorial mission. It will give you a good taste of flight systems and combat. Unfortunately, the tutorial is not without problems. It does have some bugs causing issues with triggers, but nothing too severe.

There are a bunch of things that need tweaking, but overall, the more I play, the more I like, and the more excited I get to see the game progress. Its going to be awesome.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Oh bugger I'm just off to bed - will look forward to watching tomorrow evening.  Thanks for making the video, Jarhead.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 18, 2016, 06:18:11 PM
Oh bugger I'm just off to bed - will look forward to watching tomorrow evening.  Thanks for making the video, Jarhead.

My pleasure. Enjoy! Let me know of you have any specific questions.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

"I was just saying how easy manual landing is" - LOL!  Classic! :2funny:

Great video Jarhead, thanks.  I especially enjoyed the expert strafing around the Spire!  How did it feel to be called "kid" all the time? :D

Combat looks like it's going to be fun.  Nothing particularly different from other space sims yet, but what's there looks solid.  The weapons seem to carry weight and have decent sound effects, and there was no slowdown at all that I noticed when you were shooting those poor little drones to death.  It's a pity your only missile launch was point-blank; do the missiles leave satisfying vapour trails at longer range?

Some more general questions: since the game is called Star Citizen, is it planned for there to be more to it than just combat?  Will it be viable to play through the game as a trader, diplomat, courier or whatever too?

By the way, you should do videos more often (unless I'm missing them) as you seem to have a knack for it; you provide precisely the level of commentary that I prefer.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 19, 2016, 05:57:41 PM
"I was just saying how easy manual landing is" - LOL!  Classic! :2funny:

Some more general questions: since the game is called Star Citizen, is it planned for there to be more to it than just combat?  Will it be viable to play through the game as a trader, diplomat, courier or whatever too?

By the way, you should do videos more often (unless I'm missing them) as you seem to have a knack for it; you provide precisely the level of commentary that I prefer.

Thanks a lot, Huw! I've been meaning to start video making for a very long time. Now that I have some good tools, I plan on rolling them out quite frequently. Any special requests?  O0

The missile trails are really nice in SC. I'll post some more combat vids when I get a chance that will show a lot more combat. All of the combat effects are top notch.

I'm pretty sure that SC, when it's finally finished, will be an entire gaming universe. It definitely won't be all about combat. One of the online areas is sort of like a market hub. I haven't really explored it, but I did see a gun shop and I of course went inside to browse. It really sounds like there will be something for everyone. A single player campaign reminiscent of wing commander, a mmporpg with space and fps exploration and combat activities, PvE elements with random encounters, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Yes - thanks for doing the videos. There's something about doing videos for other to see(especially with commentary) that "bares the soul"....shows you playing, warts and all. So good job.  O0

I'm not seeing any compelling reason to get this currently - so I (you'll be rather pleased to know) am holding off on this.
Alba gu' brath

Thomasew

Hi Jarhead,

Thanks for the vids ..  :)

Been out of the SC loop for a while, .. and just finished downloading 2.1 this morning, .. and was exploring the Space Station.

.. found my Mustang .. but, couldn't figure how to get my other Hardpoints loaded. My ship is in it's basic config, without extra weps etc..

Do you have any idea how to config your ship in the Universe? .. as you can in the Arena.

Thanks ..  :)

Cheers
Tom
He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Thomasew on January 20, 2016, 03:01:27 AM
Hi Jarhead,

Thanks for the vids ..  :)

Been out of the SC loop for a while, .. and just finished downloading 2.1 this morning, .. and was exploring the Space Station.

.. found my Mustang .. but, couldn't figure how to get my other Hardpoints loaded. My ship is in it's basic config, without extra weps etc..

Do you have any idea how to config your ship in the Universe? .. as you can in the Arena.

Thanks ..  :)

Cheers
Tom

Hey Thomasew. I believe you still have to configure your load out from the holo table in your hangar,  but there are reports of configurations not sticking once you load into the universe in 2.1. I'll try this out and see what I can find.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Thomasew

Hey Jarhead,

I did try that, .. without success, .. Ship in 'Universe' still in basic config.  ???

Really need to spend more time with it, .. but, so many other sims/games require my attention, .. it's difficult to focus on just one thing.  ::)

Still haven't taken off with 'Elite' yet, .. and bought that over a year ago ..  :-[ .. upgraded recently to 'Horizons', .. but obviously, don't have a Ship big enough to carry a landing contraption ..  :-[ , .. making the 'Horizons' purchase a tad superfluous ..  :-\

Thanks for investigating SC ..  O0

Cheers
Tom
He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win

Jarhead0331

I just went on my first real mission available in the current build. Lots of fun! So there are a bunch of comm arrays located throughout this area of space and pirates and vandals keep shutting them down. You can accept jobs to go and reactivate them. So I flew to one of them and arrived just in time to join in a battle between pirates and local security forces, once we cleared the pirates, the security forces advised they would provide cover while I rebooted the array. To do it, I had leave the safety of my ship and EVA down to the array and reactivate the control panel. As I was floating through space another group of pirates arrived. I got to watch them blow up my ship from about 1,000 meters away. The space battle swirling around me looked amazing. I almost forgot my ship had been destroyed. So I accomplished the mission and shrugged...now what. Well, I opened the comm channel and saw a bunch of real players were chatting in local space. I asked for a lift and someone ACTUALLY ARRIVED, opened their bay door and picked me the f*ck up! They took me back to the port and saved my ass.

Now that is what I call an awesome gaming experience. I got into a dog fight, got some kills, floated in damn space doing EVA maneuvers, accomplished the mission and got a free ride back to base! Wow.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Ha, that is brilliant!  I wonder what options you'd have had if no players had been around though.  Sounds like an awesome experience though Jarhead.

Huw the Poo

Hey Jarhead...when you were hitching a lift with your new friend, how did that work?  Were you able to freely roam around his ship?  Did you have any options at all?  Did he remember to close the ramp?