What's the most you've ever spent on a game?

Started by Huw the Poo, November 29, 2018, 03:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

After reading this my reaction is almost "do you guys even game". I mean. I now wonder how much the people who posted sub-$100 figures spend on their other hobbies in a year and how much you guys spent upgrading your PCs.
I reckon Star Citizen like Jarhead has taken the cake for me. DCS probably after that and maybe Combat Mission following - I seem to collect items\modules gradually in all of these titles. In Star Citizen I almost consider each ship a module like in DCS.

Other games funnily enough, I wait these days for sub $30 aud for.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Tuna

150 on World of Warships, but got a lot of hours in and will definitely re-visit. Like Jomni, probably 1000 on fsx, that is a sick addiction especially for something so old, you're always on the borderline of performance issues!

jamus34

Hmmm. Is the question most spent or most spent that I regret?

For the most part I've never deep dived into games. If I had to say a game I spent major coin on it would probably be a paradox game (either EU4 or CK2) but I'm fairly I didn't pay full price for the base games.

Most money I regret is probably paying full price via preorder for Brink. That game swore me off of preorders forever.
Insert witty comment here.

Yskonyn

Well if we take combat simming's hardware requirements I have definately spent a few thousand euro's easily, but that's out of the scope of this thread I presume.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Quote from: Destraex on November 30, 2018, 04:31:33 AM
After reading this my reaction is almost "do you guys even game". I mean. I now wonder how much the people who posted sub-$100 figures spend on their other hobbies in a year and how much you guys spent upgrading your PCs.

I just spread out the hideous expenses more broadly across more games rather than concentrating them into a few games. Aside from a few outliers. ;)

As for my PCs, well yeah I drop multi-thousands onto them, buying from Falcon Northwest. But that's once every seven or eight years.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Like Jason, I buy Falcon Northwest systems every six to eight years.

Most expensive single game was my VP Cabs pinball game - which was around $3,000 and worth every penny.  It plays hundreds of pinball games and I only need to have one machine.

Tabletop game - most expensive is Mansions of Madness which was over $100.  As a game system, I've probably spent more on Call of Cthulhu than anything and that would run into the thousands spent over decades.

But I've got several shotguns that were more than $1,000 each - but they will last multiple lifetimes.  I have guns more than a 100 years old that work very well.

But I've probably spent more on books than anything over the decades.

Yskonyn

Wow airboy, I have taken a look at VPCabs; that's super awesome!!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Haha yeah I had to look too.  I have zero interest in pinball but I have to admit those machines are cool!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 29, 2018, 06:47:20 PM
I'm sure the most I've ever spent on a single game must be... wait, I was going to say one of Gary Grigsby's monsters ($75-ish for Admiral's Edition WitP, a game I have never once truly played),

Let me know if you ever want to do a long campaign in any GG game.  WiPAE really shines as a long game.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.