"Feeling Old" 2018 Edition

Started by bayonetbrant, January 03, 2018, 03:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 09, 2018, 08:03:55 PM
I had my LASIK done in 2003. Got a nice discount for 'knowing a guy'.

It is indeed not for the faint of heart. If offered the chance to watch a video of the procedure before making up your mind, I strongly suggest saying 'NO!" to the viewing unless you really wanted to dissuade yourself anyway.

I had a gum graft procedure where they cut into the roof of my mouth for tissue and grafted it over a missing gum area (after 'cleaning' that area). It can't be as bad as that bad.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

That sounds painfull as all hel.

LASIK actually didn't hurt at all. The cornea is numbed up so you don't feel either the scalpel or laser.

It's the ancillary sensory experiences-
The sense of great pressure on you eyeball from the suction ring holding it in place.
The sudden blurred vision when a trapdoor-like portion of your cornea is cut away and flipped aside exposing the stroma beneath.
The WHAMWHAMWHAMWHAM of the excimer laser vaporizing tiny bits of the aforementioned stroma, accompanied by the smell of burning hair (what was bits of your eyeball).
The unnatural visual effect of the corneal flap getting re positioned back over the rest of the eye.
Getting bandaged up into complete blindness, to stay that way for hours of healing followed by only moments of light when you apply all the prophylactic antibiotic and steroidal eyedrops every few hours.

Nope, it didn't hurt at all. It's just a really trippy experience. And very much worth it all.  O0
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Labbug

About 12 years ago I had lens replacement surgery done because of cataracts in both eyes.  It was well worth it.

bayonetbrant

don't forget the color loss when the cornea peels back, and you feel like you're in an alien-abduction film
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

I think I'll stick with losing my glasses.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Dammit Carl!

:wow:

Yeah, uh...no.  Glasses, please!

Anyhoo, got my official "You're eligible for retirement pay!" letter from Uncle Sam, so that's twenty plus-ish years down.  Time to get fat and grow a beard!

BanzaiCat

Sir Slash

Good and bad to getting old. The good: Now you've got an excuse to be rude to people you don't like and to stare at young girls, just not too young, and to be slow at your work and forget stuff. Bitching about everything comes more easily and when you do something very rarely sweet, people say, "Ahhhh, isn't that sweet".  O:-)  The older you get, the younger you're allowed to act and get away with it. But that's usually because they feel sorry for you or they just want you to go away. Either way works for me.

The Bad: See all the above. Plus, DOCTORS! At some point you go see one for something and as Admiral Ackbar told me, "It's a TRAP"! You never get to stop seeing them ever again. Ever. But their receptionists are young so.... see the above 'good'. And everything gets stiff. Except what you WANT to be stiff, that gets more..... flexible. The stiffness gets worse, never gets better, and then the pains begin until.... your back to the Doctor Trap.  :hide:

I think of getting old as God's way of making us want to get to Heaven more quickly. And it is not for the Weak. So be strong Brother. You're going where only the Tough can survive.  :notworthy:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2018, 10:25:58 AM
Now I'm really depressed.

Don't let getting old get you down despite the golden years not being what they are cracked up to be. Look on the bright side of things: you can draw your Social Security at the age of 62 (if it's still solvent and you live to be 62); you can get Medicare at age 65; you also get a break on your taxes when you get old; you get Senior discounts; once you retire you will have the time to play the games you've been buying. All these reasons and more should help you appreciate getting older a little bit more.

Here's a little joke to wind up this post:

Do you know why life is like a roll of toilet paper? Because the closer you get to the end of it the faster it goes. ;D

Now have fun and live until you die.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Barthheart

Quote from: Greybriar on January 10, 2018, 12:12:45 PM
Now have fun and live until you die.

Great motto for any age...  :)

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Labbug on January 09, 2018, 09:09:47 PM
About 12 years ago I had lens replacement surgery done because of cataracts in both eyes.  It was well worth it.

Me, too. I was young (at the time) for cataract surgery but the cataracts were smack in the middle of my lenses and that added some urgency to the process.

I still need to wear reading glasses and I have some leftover astigmatism in one eye but I can legally drive without glasses for the first time since I was 16. I started wearing glasses for myopia in 6th grade.

I hit the big 6-0 this year. I can't complain. My last physical was good.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bob48

I had both my eyes done this year as well. Like you, I use reading glasses, but driving is now a joy (other road users notwithstanding) and my distance vision is excellent.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

I've been with my wife for 30 years in May this year and been married for 25 in June!  :'( ;D
Alba gu' brath

trailrunner

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 11, 2018, 01:29:32 AM
I've been with my wife for 30 years in May this year and been married for 25 in June!  :'( ;D

We're coming up on our 35th anniversary this July.