Aliens Defiance

Started by MIGMaster, February 18, 2018, 05:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

Anybody reading the Aliens Defiance series of graphic novels ? Just wondering if there is a decent story line or not? And does it follow canon?

BanzaiCat

Dark Horse was all over the place with their first few series - Newt's Tale was canon, but there were a few that were not. Several, though, could be considered part of canon even though they did not have characters from the movies in them.

There were a few that were not canon, such as Nightmare Asylum I believe, which turned into the Earth Hive book series. That series was pretty good, but it had a major flaw in that it used Aliens characters, but re-named, which was difficult to look past.

As for this particular one, Defiance, it's canon I think, because it takes place between Alien and Aliens.

Xenopedia can much better describe it than I could: http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Aliens:_Defiance

JasonPratt

I WILL POST A TOME PRESENTLno, no I won't, I've never read the expanded universe or whatever it is.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

mirth

Not it sure it matters much if this one is canon. Sounds like it is more of a one-off. It's set in the universe and takes place between the first two movies, but doesn't tie directly into the rest of the franchise. The wiki says Amanda Ripley makes a cameo, so I guess that technically makes it canon. AFAIK, the Alien: Isolation story is considered canon. So you have a tie Ellen Ripley and the movies.

Either way, it sounds like a cool series. A 12 book run is a lot of Aliens ;)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

The AvP comics Dark Horse did are all excellent, too. MUCH better storylines than either of the AvP movies.  :buck2:

MIGMaster

Thanks guys! I have read the three novels that took place in between movies and liked them. I have been buying the the other novels to read when I get a chance. I'm currently on novel 37 of the Horus Heresy series and it's been a bitch trying to keep up with all the reading as reality keeps rearing its ugly head!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 20, 2018, 08:48:36 PM
Thanks guys! I have read the three novels that took place in between movies and liked them. I have been buying the the other novels to read when I get a chance.

Do you mean Out of the Shadows, Sea of Sorrows, and River of Pain?

River of Pain got my attention for being about what happened at Hadley's Hope before the events in Aliens. Newt's Tale did a pretty good job of covering it, but I always wanted more on that. Once I found River, I started with OotS and am a couple of chapters in.

MIGMaster

Yes- those are the ones. Kinda of a nice break from the Warhammer 40K Universe. After I read that 40K stuff I tend to speak a lot in low gothic. Drives our cats crazy ;-)

Newt's backstory was a good read - it was interesting to get a bit more perspective into how she went sorta feral.

OoS was neat they in the way they tucked it in between movies - and I'll stop there ;D

BanzaiCat

Thanks! For confirming and for no spoilers. :)

I might have to put it aside for now as I'm reading something else, but I want to get back to this one. OotS is a bit confusing as it doesn't do a lot of character build-up before WHAM right into things.

MIGMaster

I have Covenant sitting there on my bookshelf along with the anthologies. I'd also like to start the Primarch series in 40K - the book list never seems to come to an end - a great problem to have!

JasonPratt

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 21, 2018, 11:52:57 AM
Kinda of a nice break from the Warhammer 40K Universe.

When Xenomorphs make a nice break from the 40K universe (and its tyrannids among other things...)  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

BanzaiCat

Maybe the Xenomorphs need to invade the 40K universe.

I mean the HR Giger Xenomorphs, not the Space Hulk ones.

MIGMaster

What a cross-over that would be:

Aboard the Vengeful Spirit

Horus: Hey Vasquez have you ever been mistaken for a man?
Pvt. Vasquez: No. Have you?

At the Drop-site Massacre

Pvt. Hudson: I don't know if you've been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked pal!
Corax:(stares at the ground)

Prior to purging Caliban of all the beasts

Ellen Ripley: You're going out there to destroy them, right? Not to study. Not to bring back, but to wipe them out?
Primarch Lion El' Jonson: That's the plan.

JasonPratt

Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 23, 2018, 07:20:04 AM
Maybe the Xenomorphs need to invade the 40K universe.

I mean the HR Giger Xenomorphs, not the Space Hulk ones.

Not really any distinction. But I've occasionally thought it would be amusing for me to LP Alien: Isolation as an officer of the Imperial Guard using psyker tech to conduit through Ripley's daughter as she scouts for a Xenos infection on the station.