Railway Empire from Kalypso?

Started by WallysWorld, March 21, 2017, 02:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

^I wonder what will happen to the price when the Summer Sale starts?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Steelgrave

Wasn't there a huge problem with the AI cheating like crazy? I remember this was on my wishlist until I read some of your comments on this thread. Wonder if that has been fixed to any extent?

Geezer

People were howling at launch that the AI did not have to build two way tracks and trains could pass through each other.  The game compensated for that, IIRC, with longer track building times for the AI.  Haven't played it in quite a while so I don't know if that is still the case or not, but the devs did not view it as a bug.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

DennisS

Quote from: Geezer on June 19, 2018, 02:41:35 PM
People were howling at launch that the AI did not have to build two way tracks and trains could pass through each other.  The game compensated for that, IIRC, with longer track building times for the AI.  Haven't played it in quite a while so I don't know if that is still the case or not, but the devs did not view it as a bug.

Humans now have this ability...but it decreases the technical complexity. Not sure I like that. Switches and smart track laying are part of what appeals to me in a RR sim.

Geezer

Pretty sure players could do that from the beginning, but I agree it is totally unrealistic.  If it makes the AI play better then I really don't have a problem with it.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

DennisS

The AI develops tracks and stations far faster than humans can. When this happens, and I review the amazing progress of the AI, it concerns me.

I am a good player..but I struggle keeping up with the AI. Seriously.

demjansk1942

I was playing some of the other railroad games, I am not getting it, takes a lot of time to learn on tycoon 3 and Sid Meier railroad. 

DennisS

Quote from: demjansk1942 on June 24, 2018, 06:48:12 PM
I was playing some of the other railroad games, I am not getting it, takes a lot of time to learn on tycoon 3 and Sid Meier railroad.

Get Railroad Tycoon II instead. Much better game.

Pete Dero

They are streaming live on Steam now : https://steamcommunity.com/broadcast/watch/76561198048724066

Might give you an idea about the gameplay.

DennisS

AI still cheats its ass off. I have yet to win a very long game against multiple opponents. Their railroads just ... appear, early, often, and seemingly not needing money to build.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

hellfish6

No. Like most transport games these days it's more puzzle with trains than logistics sim. I miss the RRT series with the semi-realistic economy.