Ultimate General: Civil War

Started by Jarhead0331, November 13, 2016, 01:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer

Quote from: Gusington on September 16, 2017, 02:46:07 PM
DO IT

Putting my hands over my ears and singing Lalalalala so I don't hear you!   :)
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

'....there's someone in my head, and its not me'

Pink Floyd - dark Side of the Moon.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Tuna

Steelgrave

I bought it today, then started a new game of Polaris Sector and haven't been able to stop  ::)

Geezer

I'm not that interested in the campaigns.  How many historical battles are there to fight?  Thanks.

Edit - Steam shows about a dozen historical battles plus another 50 or so smaller encounters, but the way I read it those are part of the campaign.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

RyanE

I think there are about 20-30 historical battles in skirmish mode.  You can take historical setups or choose your own.

Geezer

Geezer

Something I noticed in some videos is that it looks like arty can fire right through woods and hit men on the other side when both are at about the same elevation.  Is elevation not taken into account in the game?  I'm not expecting a grognard hardcore simulation here but elevation certainly played a role in many battles.

bboyer66

Elevation is taken into account as well as obstacles such as forrests.

Geezer

OK, thanks boyer.  Picked it up on sale this morning.  Looking forward to playing.

Hancock

Quote from: Tuna on September 16, 2017, 06:16:15 PM
Boy this game is hard!

After a training run at low difficulty, hit the Brigadier General difficulty button and the confederate campaign.  Beat off the Yank assaults at Fredericksburg last night (a LOT of Yank assaults, this AI just doesn't know when to quit..kinda like Burnside eh?).  To Tuna's point, it can be a challenging game.  The AI in this game is up there with the best I have ever played against.  IMHO, following are a couple suggestions towards success:

1. In campaign mode, army management is critical.  In short, one must gain some experience by playing campaign at low difficulty.  Once you gain functional understanding of the army management piece, what initially seems to be a pain in the ass, actually becomes an interesting and challenging part of the game. (Do I arm a unit with low cost, slow reload rate Springfield rifles vs very costly rapid fire with better accuracy Sharps carbines.

2. The AI is very good, but it is AI.  Battle strategy should include rapid flanking, particularly with fast moving cavalry and skirmishers.  Those units can be used in that way to force the AI to deal with them and, for example, delay/reduce number of troops dedicated to a frontal assault.  Be warned the AI can be pulled by that, but it can also rapidly destroy high value cavalry units very quickly.

My 2 cents.  I am enjoying the campaign, looking forward to attempting confederate at Major General/Legendary difficulty level.  From what I've seen, that is an experience.
"Colonel, I do not care to die, but I pray to God I may never leave this field."

jomni

Quote from: Hancock on September 19, 2017, 02:13:49 AM
Boy this game is hard!
The AI in this game is up there with the best I have ever played against.

But it also cheats

Hancock

Quote from: jomni on September 19, 2017, 02:54:53 AM
Boy this game is hard!

But it also cheats

That's part of what makes it challenging. I would rather an AI that cheats a bit and challenges the hell out of me than the usual robotic opponents.  By the way, I should have added the following caution to my earlier post:  The AI also effectively uses cavalry/skirms to flank and attack rear units such as supply and artillery.  You must maintain a strong set of skirms combined with a melee cavalry unit or two to defend against that...can be disastrous as well as highly annoying if you don't... >:(
"Colonel, I do not care to die, but I pray to God I may never leave this field."

MC

Quote from: jomni on September 19, 2017, 02:54:53 AM
Boy this game is hard!

But it also cheats

I have been thinking about this one.  Some cheats I can live with and some I cannot. How does it cheat? Does it only cheat at certain difficulty levels?