Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoop

They released the mig19 instead.

To bad we don't have a Dcs phantom with a Vietnam map to go with it.

Jarhead0331

Finally...tomcat release date of March 13 revealed.

Have little interest in the Farmer. Will probably pick it up on sale eventually.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Destraex

Quote from: Skoop on March 01, 2019, 12:44:53 PM
They released the mig19 instead.

To bad we don't have a Dcs phantom with a Vietnam map to go with it.
I thought a phantom II was in development but gathered it was on hold?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Toonces

Have any of you guys spent any significant time with that free A-4?  I'd love to hook up online with you guys when the F-14 comes out and do some ACM in an A-4 aggressor if it's any good.

I will eventually pick this up, but at the moment I simply cannot justify the expense.  It might make for some fun flights and great screenshots or even Grogheads article if we can do it.  Some say I'm the best internet fighter pilot in the world.   :coolsmiley:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

At 85 pages, I'm not sure if this has been posted or if we discussed it, but there is a pretty good documentary on the training of F-14 pilots called Speed and Angels on Youtube.  A quick search should turn up the series; here's the trailer:

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on March 03, 2019, 09:22:55 PM
Have any of you guys spent any significant time with that free A-4?  I'd love to hook up online with you guys when the F-14 comes out and do some ACM in an A-4 aggressor if it's any good.

I will eventually pick this up, but at the moment I simply cannot justify the expense.  It might make for some fun flights and great screenshots or even Grogheads article if we can do it.  Some say I'm the best internet fighter pilot in the world.   :coolsmiley:

I have the free A4 and the Tomcat on pre-order. I've flown around in the scooter a bit, but some of the last DCS World updates caused some issues for it and I'm not sure if they have been fixed.

I'm really excited for the Tomcat, but very nervous. I'm afraid I'm going to hate flying it after getting so comfortable in the Hornet...

Regardless, would love to connect for some flights and doing something for the main page is a great idea.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

This is going back a long time, but I remember talking to my dad (F-4 RIO/instructor) about flying the F-4 and he always told me that whenever a pilot wanted to turn the plane he first had to "put in a boot full of rudder."  I didn't understand it at the time, and even after I started flying myself I didn't understand why one would want to overly concern himself with rudder in a jet fighter.  It was only much later, maybe even in the last 10 years when I've read more about the Phantom, that I realized that the F-4 wasn't a "stick over and pull" fighter like, say, the F-16 or any computer flight sim.  If you rolled the jet with the stick/ailerons and then pulled back - typical for flight simming - you'd depart the jet.  Something about the weird tail and wing configuration was such that you actually rolled the jet with the rudder, not the ailerons.  So, if you wanted to turn, you rolled the jet over with the rudder pedals, not the stick.  Apparently that took a lot of time to become intuitive because it's so atypical.

I've never seen a sim capture that idiosyncrasy.  I think it would be amazing if this sim captures those types of things for the F-14.  It took a lot of skill to fly it to the "edge" like Top Gun.  The fact that it's hard to fly is part of the charm.

I know that some of my most satisfying moments in Aces High were when I took a very difficult plane and beat up on other pilots in easy mode planes.  Think Yak vs. Spit 16.  If you can take down a Spit 16 in a Yak, you're executing very skillful ACM.

Destraex

Mate. I will be struggling just to take off. Let alone fly on the edge.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Tomcat comes today...I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

I know! I even watched Top Gun again yesterday night to celebrate today's EA release! :bd: :dreamer:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

I started DCS this morning and there was a big update - I was hopeful, but the cat wasn't there. At least I got the DCS update out the way ready though
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 13, 2019, 11:30:51 AM
I started DCS this morning and there was a big update - I was hopeful, but the cat wasn't there. At least I got the DCS update out the way ready though

Its out. Try again.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

YOU ALL HAVE NOW BEEN WAAARRRRNED!

[spoiler]The video is purely kidding.[/spoiler]
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!