Valkyria Chronicles coming to PC

Started by jomni, November 01, 2014, 03:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

I've been eying it on Steam for some days now.

Is it a turn based strategy game with troop advancement and a pseudo-WWII theme?

jomni

Quote from: Tpek on November 01, 2014, 05:49:20 AM
I've been eying it on Steam for some days now.

Is it a turn based strategy game with troop advancement and a pseudo-WWII theme?

Yes.  Theme is somewhat Steampunk mixing machines and magic... but after the Victorian era. It resembles WW2 or inter war years.  Story includes the extermination of a certain race.  Sounds familiar?

BTW, My steam profile pic is from this game.

panzerde

Been watching this myself. It does look interesting. I usually shy away from JRPGs as not being my thing despite enjoying manga and anime. This looks more like something I can get my brain around.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

JasonPratt

One of the very first games I picked up for my PS3 long ago (though I bought the PS3 several years after its initial release -- the original PS2 hardware versions were already rare and set me back quite a bit.) I've played it through to completion twice, and that's rare for me.

Comparisons to X-Com (or to XCOM for the differences involved therein) are almost not apt.

* All characters are characters, not randomly generated. I can't remember if any of them can die in a mission (for non-scripted reasons), but the main ones certainly can't. Mission success brings back casualties so far as I can recall, though they may need to rest a bit.

* Characters advance by class upgrades, not individually. And like many JRPGs, each class of character tends to have weapons unique to that class; and those weapons as a class are upgraded. So only snipers can use sniper guns and can't use anything else (somewhat like XCOM), and everyone starts off a particular class and cannot change; and once sniper guns are upgraded every sniper gets the new gun model. So it's even more simplified than XCOM in that regard.

* The vehicles for your team are unique, effectively the special weapons for a character class (or even for a particular character depending on the mission), and there are only a few. This fits the game story and setting, but again lacks the flexibility of either X-Com or even XCOM.

* When the time comes to move and shoot with your character, you'll go into a pseudo-FPS/3PS mode where the enemy may shoot back at you freely, and your character's aim is based at least partially on your own abilities.

* Like many JRPGs, your characters have unique stats and traits which can combine with others nearby to the benefit or detriment of others. You both like gardening! You're both gay for each other! Etc.

(The latter is not at all a story factor by the way. Or bi the way as the case may be, ba-dump-tish. ;) )

I don't want to sound like I'm knocking the game, because I'm not. The setting and story (and artstyle) are the big selling points -- though weirdly the anime series made from the game is rather poor, in my opinion. If there's such a thing as Interwar Fantasy Steampunk, this game is it.

There was a sequel for the Playstation Portable, and I bought and played it a while, but its method of splitting up maps to force people to co-op the game made my head hurt (not least because I didn't have anyone to co-op with).

QuoteSet in a fictitious continent reminiscent of 1930s, Valkyria Chronicles depicts Europe divided in two and ruled by two super powers: the Empire and the Federation. The Empire has set its sights on invading a small neutral country called Gallia, situated in the middle of the two superpowers territories, in an attempt to secure invaluable natural resources. Within this struggle a hero named Welkin, and his fellow soldiers of the Federation's 7th Platoon, are fighting back against the invasion and the Empires attempts to unify the continent under its power.

During the ensuing war the Federation discovers that the Empire possesses a secret weapon, known as the "Valkyria" - an ancient race with special powers thought to exist only in legends. With this new discovery the fate of the Federation's ability to turn the tide of the war, and the hope for a better future, hang in the balance.   

"CANVAS" graphics engine: A unique engine that produces breath taking images that look like watercolour paintings in motion.
"BLiTZ" tactical battle system: Experience strategic manoeuvring of units combined with conventional RPG gameplay, all layered on top of the moment to moment action afforded by real-time controls as players command each squad member and tank in battle.
Epic storyline: Players will immerse themselves in the epic struggle for freedom, as the fate of the world lies in the hands of Welkin and the members of the 7th platoon.
Customisation: Over 100 customisable characters allow players to create a variety of platoons to suit each battle's needs.
Beautifully rendered battlefields: Players explore 30 different environments, using unique terrain features to gain advantages in battle.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jomni

I think non-important characters can die if you do not "bring them back to base" when they get critically injured.
Important characters cannot die and they are part of the mission objectives.

Yes I mentioned X-Com but simplified as rightfully explained by Jason. 

RooksBailey

I just saw this on Steam, too and I have to say that I am definitely interested in it.  It certainly has a great artistic look to it.   And the gameplay seems like a lot of fun.  I thought it might be a short game, but one review mentions 30+ hours of content!  Assuming this turns out to be a good console port, I definitely can see myself picking this title up one day.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

JasonPratt

There is definitely a lot of play value in the campaign. However, that's partly because the missions are rather puzzle-like, so until you find an efficient path through it you may find yourself reloading missions a lot.

In my second playthrough, just to watch the story again (and for the novelty of doing it), I used a high-efficiency gameplan from GameFAQs, blitzing my way across the maps. On occasion this would have produced suicidal results, of course, but usually the results 'made sense' enough in-game. A 3 hour speedrun isn't impossible, though the blitz-plan I followed ran more than that (partly because I was storying as I went).

I suspect the reason the game is coming to PC now is because VChron3 will be released in Japan early next year. [Update: I mean for the PS3. I think. News on the internet is weird; it was already released on the PSP or the Vita a couple of years ago.]

A most boring review but sufficiently accurate:

Yahtzee usually hates both JRPGs and strategy games, but wanted to try something different than what he usually plays:

Many of his criticisms are accurate, but it depends on one's attitude toward such things.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

spelk

By coincidence, I've been re-visiting this lately on the PS3, and you really can't get any better if you like WWII/Anime/Steampunk turn based battling, where the people you take out, you get very attached to. Like in X-com. It takes a while to get rolling though. And theres a lot of superfluous (lets call it setting the scene) dialogue. But then, its trying to get you attached to these characters. Over time you'll start to have your favourites and they all have good and bad traits that do affect how they perform in the field. So marrying up likes/dislikes/friendships/class/equipment into a decent fighting team is quite a skill to acquire over time with battle experience. Plus there are tanks in it.

JasonPratt

I'm sure I won't buy it for the PC, but I'm thinking of taking it back out for a spin on the PS3.

My most enjoyment will be watching reviewers who have shown up since then, like AngryJoe and TotalBiscuit, messing with it.  :))