GETTYSBURG: THE TIDE TURNS releases at last this Thursday

Started by JasonPratt, July 11, 2017, 11:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I've been waiting for this a while. ...for, um... three years?!  :o :wow: THE AGE! IT BURRRNNNNNSSSS!!!

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=635

Note that any implication this will have something to do with genetically advanced apes, other than the obvious, should be disregarded.  >:D

Also coming to iOS apparently, but the game looks like a proper tabletop product. (Except, y'know, on PC. ...and iOS.)

Who shall sacrifice themselves with me to mp this thing out of the gate!?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mikeck

I'm a sucker for any Civil War game and this looks good but I'm wary of anything also made for tablets. Just don't know if it ends up having enough depth under the hood.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Geezer

It seems strange that there was so little notice on the release.  No AAR.  No Twitch stream.  Maybe I'm reading too much into that though.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

stolypin

Quote from: mikeck on July 11, 2017, 12:04:21 PM
I'm wary of anything also made for tablets. Just don't know if it ends up having enough depth under the hood.

Right or wrong, my view is the same.  I own three different tablets right now but I don't play games on any of them.  And, as long as I can afford a decent desktop and/or laptop, I doubt I ever will.

JasonPratt

Quote from: mikeck on July 11, 2017, 12:04:21 PM
I'm a sucker for any Civil War game and this looks good but I'm wary of anything also made for tablets. Just don't know if it ends up having enough depth under the hood.

Matrix rates it as "intermediate" complexity, so take that into context of what they regard as intermediate. Korsun Pocket and its successors, for example. Guns of August. Most AGEOD games

I strenuously doubt that G:TTT will be as "intermediate" as those. ;) But even if it's on the low side of intermediate, that's more than the stereotypical iOS game.

On the other hand, the total game is 150 Megs, so...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

salazarus

First impressions:

It doesn't look intermediate to me, but It is better than I expected. I like the art, but I don't like the interface. Especially I hate this unit activation roulette.

JasonPratt

Yeah, doesn't look "Matrix Intermediate" to me either. But okay.

I didn't realize the initiative would be that random though! -- I can understand some randomization, but aren't there modifiers at all? Will have to look into that.

Zulu1966

All regiments in a single hex? You can't move individually ? Doesn't seem as though facing plays a part ?
Like the map. Bigger than expected but seems a bit odd to me it seems all units of a brigade all in one hex
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Geezer

Agree with the previous impressions.  At least in their Bulge game you got to prioritize the order of moving your units with a random amount of time passing.  In Gettysburg the totally random corps activation and combat initiation is probably a game killer for me.  It wasn't clear if having the high ground made any difference.  A couple of times it looked like arty fired right through friendly units.  Hard to say for sure though.  I also liked the look of the map and it did look large enough to allow for maneuver room.

Edit - I asked at the Slitherine forums if there is a turn replay in PBEM but nobody ever answered.  Hopefully the answer is yes.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Geezer

Found another video (2 parts) here where the guy is explaining more of the mechanics.  However the game hung after a couple of turns and he had to redo part of it.  Not a good first impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgVFZwFL-Rs

Disclaimer - I have not watched all of this video or any of the second one yet, but wanted to share it here anyway.

salazarus

Historical gamer made much more informative video:

Not an intermediate game but there is some depth in combat. I don't like random order though. They should give some tools to alter the order of activation at least few times during battle.

JasonPratt

So.... this "Battle Hymn: Gettysburg" sounds like an interesting game.  ???

solops

I was interested in this title until I read about the "random" movement component. Movement order based on leadership or some sort of action point is fine...but random? I'll never look back on this one. Stupid design.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Geezer

I don't see any FoW option.  Hopefully I just missed it in the videos.  Hate to sound critical as the game is only $10.

JasonPratt

It's sort of a boardgame, so I'm not too whack about a fog of war.

That said, one of the videos seemed to show Confederate units up in the actual Gettysburg area in a fog of war: there, but unknown. They also didn't seem to be activated, so maybe that's the difference.