Anyone ever play Aurora 4X?

Started by CaptainKoloth, August 07, 2023, 07:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainKoloth

I'm curious and poking around the edges, but I every time I dig into some videos and let's plays of it I'm left wondering whether it's just a mess of tons and tons of stuff which is "complex by weight" only, as opposed to actually having some deep and satisfying gameplay- say, a Rule the Waves (which I would argue does have such gameplay, most of the time) vs. something like Caveman 2 Cosmos (a Civ IV mod with almost a thousand techs but that I think is notable just for having so much stuff within it as opposed to the stuff necessarily being compelling). Anyone ever play this at length?

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CaptainKoloth

So uh... you're saying I should use teh googlez, huh?  :grin:

Jarhead0331

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on August 08, 2023, 06:48:24 AMSo uh... you're saying I should use teh googlez, huh?  :grin:

the search feature around here is actually pretty good!

Aurora is a game I get into periodically and then obsess over for months before taking a break. My cycle usually corresponds to Steve's update schedule. The v2.2 patch has been in the works for almost a year and it has some major new features I've been waiting for, so I haven't really played since the  early v2.1 days.

I love Aurora and to answer your question, I do not think it is "complexity by weight". I think the parts fit together  in a way that makes for a very rewarding and satisfying strategic experience. It is totally worth the investment in time to learn and explore. In fact, it is so worth it, that I've repeated the process several times. Its so complex that when I put it down for several months, I typically need to relearn much of it when I pick it back up.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Geezer

IIRC Steve originally wrote Aurora to be a mechanism for him to write stories, rather than as a game.  It may have evolved into more of a game over the years.  I haven't played it in a long time.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Geezer on August 08, 2023, 08:38:01 AMIIRC Steve originally wrote Aurora to be a mechanism for him to write stories, rather than as a game.  It may have evolved into more of a game over the years.  I haven't played it in a long time.

It hasn't. It is still primarily a role playing tool to assist in fiction. But, it is certainly one helluva tool.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tripoli

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 08, 2023, 08:49:34 AM
Quote from: Geezer on August 08, 2023, 08:38:01 AMIIRC Steve originally wrote Aurora to be a mechanism for him to write stories, rather than as a game.  It may have evolved into more of a game over the years.  I haven't played it in a long time.

It hasn't. It is still primarily a role playing tool to assist in fiction. But, it is certainly one helluva tool.

I understand that Tom Clancy did something similar with the HARPOON board game (although the game was not designed for the purpose of supporting fiction).  "Northen Fury H hour" did something similar with Command Modern Operations,  but like  HARPOON, the game existed before the fiction.   I've never heard of it being done in the reverse order.  Has any fiction actually come out of Aurora?
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tripoli on August 08, 2023, 09:17:17 AMHas any fiction actually come out of Aurora?

A $hitload. There is a whole section for C# fiction in the official forums. As far as anything being published, I can't say, but it wouldn't shock me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Steve Walmsley

Geezer

Thanks for posting here Steve!   :notworthy:
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Geezer on August 10, 2023, 09:39:31 AMThanks for posting here Steve!   :notworthy:

Same! I'm still trying to decide if the game is "for me" but I am regardless in awe of what you have accomplished singlehandedly with it!