Chase Bank erases all credit card debt for Canadian customers

Started by steve58, August 11, 2019, 05:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Makes ya almost want to be a Canuckian, eh?   >:D

American-based Chase Bank is giving its customers above the border one last gift before it bows out of the Canadian credit card market.

Chase Bank, which is part of JPMorgan Chase & Co., closed all their credit card accounts in March 2018 and customers were expected to continue to pay their debt.

That changed on Friday when the company decided to forgive all outstanding balances on either of its two VISA cards as part of their exit following 13 years in the Canadian credit card market, according to the CBC.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/chase-bank-erases-all-credit-card-debt-for-canadian-customers
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Silent Disapproval Robot

I bet the poor bastards who were diligent and made their monthly payments are just thrilled.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I thought they were named, 'Chase' because if you DIDN'T pay, they would, 'chase' you down. I wonder if I start using a Canadian address..... :-"
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

em2nought

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 11, 2019, 07:33:39 PM
I bet the poor bastards who were diligent and made their monthly payments are just thrilled.

Progressive culture at its finest.  ;)
Stolen elections have consequences.

FarAway Sooner

Whatever their motivations, nothing about Chase's decisions in a case like this is "progressive".  Having worked in the industry for almost 20 years, I'm sure that they sharpened their pencils before making this call...

jamus34

Does Canada have stricter consumer protections?

Pretty sure the tax rate is higher.

I imagine Chase felt the ROI on keeping collection and processing assets in place was less than the tax credit as an operating loss they can take this year.

Just my $.02
Insert witty comment here.