10 Weirdest Wargames?

Started by DicedT, April 10, 2012, 04:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DicedT

Inspired by Brant's quest to find obscure wargames, I've decided to write something on the 10 weirdest wargames. So which are your favorites for the coveted title of Bizarro Game of All Time? They can be paper or computer (though there are probably more weird paper wargames).

One of the finalists has to be Cod Wars.

Michael

bob48

Cod Wars?

Sounds a bit fishy to me, but I bet we'll have a whale of a time with this thread - I'm off to trawl through my old games collection...I'm bound to net something.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GroggyGrognard

"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

eyebiter

DicedT

Sushi-Jalapeno War?  You guys are incredible! 

Michael

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Mississippi Banzai

From BGG
QuoteMISSISSIPPI BANZAI is another in XTR's many alternate-history wargames. This one takes its cue from the post WW2 oddness of Tomorrow the World, where the Germans and Japanese win the war and conquer the entire planet.

MB is set in that alternate 1948 when the two powers square off against each other in the heartland of the former USA. The Germans move north from St. Louis while the Japanese move in from western Missouri and Iowa. MB's map has hexes 12 kilometers across, and counters represent 8,000 to 15,000 men, or 180 to 300 vehicles. It may not be to everyone's taste because of the alt-history premise of the game.

Republished in Command Magazine Japan #28, and also in Separate Volume #19 of Command Magazine Japan, together with Black Gold.

(edit: link, image added)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Quote from: GroggyGrognard on April 10, 2012, 05:04:24 PM

I actually have 4th Reich. I bought it after someone pointed out that it is basically Norman Spinrad's book The Iron Dream
in boardgame form minus the title and with slight shifts in country names because of copyright issues.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

Far and away...

Time Tripper: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5503/time-tripper

The game about smoking dope and playing wargames.....
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Jack Nastyface

If by "weird" you mean "odd but realistic subject matter" then I submit:
Sticks and Stones (metagames)...man-to-man and man-vs-mammoth combat in the stone age.
The Canadian Civil War (by SPI...J. Dunnigan no less!) is an interesting "what if" on the FLQ crisis in 1970's Quebec.

If by "weird" you mean "odd but unrealistic topics" then I could submit a host of alien / sorcery / other weird stuff and WWII blend games

If by "weird" you mean "just plain strange" then perhaps:  Chitin (microgame); Snit's Revenge (TSR), Hotspot (Metagames...takes place on a lava planet) and a game called "Stomp" which is about giants crushing humans.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Steelgrave

Some friends, my wife and I used to play this often. It's fun as all hell. And what's funny is that none of us are/were stoners. Not a wargame, but eh....neither is Axis and Allies, ha.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Steelgrave on April 11, 2012, 01:14:13 AM
Some friends, my wife and I used to play this often. It's fun as all hell. And what's funny is that none of us are/were stoners. Not a wargame, but eh....neither is Axis and Allies, ha.

I guess the 'fun' factor would depend on how long the 'play aids' supply lasted, eh?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

Sorry- no pixel clickers allowed in this sub-forum. ;)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

ken ellis

HOAX

QUIRKS

1000 BLANK WHITE CARDS

PHART: THE DISPERSING

ALL COME TO MIND

I have owned the three published games, still have two of em.

more realistic, brunch at the coliseum, gigantic is pretty fun but not too wierd

and never played em  but the black death and plague games were popular

I do still have PLAGUE & PESTILENCE THOUGH

too tired, too lazy, ya'll can geek um

IF there is no geek listing of phart, I will post pics here. anyone that wants to experience a full roaming vapor just meet up with me at the con in raleigh about 7 pm sat night, just before I play TRON but right after getting the chicken philly around the corner from the con!!!