New Vietnam Wargame

Started by Zulu1966, January 06, 2018, 04:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Zulu1966

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

spelk

Micha

Why the Units are Cards ? From my Point of view a bad idea.

Greybriar

After watching the video, I believe Combat Actions: Vietnam is more realistic and therefore more appealing to me than Vietnam '65, the last Vietnam War title I purchased.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Jarhead0331

It was pretty painful watching both of those videos. Neither player knew what the heck they were doing. lol

Looks interesting, but also looks as if it may get very repetitive quickly. With the game system being relatively simple, its hard to see how mission variety will result in anything other than contact followed by a slug fest to the end.

Also, some inconsistencies jump out at me.  Why do some unit cards appear to be named as single soldiers, while others are named after States? Does each card represent a single soldier, or does each card represent more than one individual? Why is there a picture of a Car-15 or M4 representing an M16? The shotgun graphic is also inaccurate and its listed generically as "shotgun" rather than Rem 870, or some other specific weapon that would have been used in Vietnam. There doesn't seem like there is any real opportunity to utilize any US advantages, such as air support, helicopter mobility, etc. 

Are there other map modes too? Its hard to tell visually how much elevation, cover and concealment exists in a hex? Is there any real variation in maps, other than light, medium and heavy jungle? Are hamlets or villages modeled? Is it just Vietnam, or do some of the MAC-V missions take place in Laos or Cambodia? Any use of native or indigenous allied troops?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 07, 2018, 10:11:07 AM
It was pretty painful watching both of those videos. Neither player knew what the heck they were doing. lol

Looks interesting, but also looks as if it may get very repetitive quickly. With the game system being relatively simple, its hard to see how mission variety will result in anything other than contact followed by a slug fest to the end.

Also, some inconsistencies jump out at me.  Why do some unit cards appear to be named as single soldiers, while others are named after States? Does each card represent a single soldier, or does each card represent more than one individual? Why is there a picture of a Car-15 or M4 representing an M16? The shotgun graphic is also inaccurate and its listed generically as "shotgun" rather than Rem 870, or some other specific weapon that would have been used in Vietnam. There doesn't seem like there is any real opportunity to utilize any US advantages, such as air support, helicopter mobility, etc. 

Are there other map modes too? Its hard to tell visually how much elevation, cover and concealment exists in a hex? Is there any real variation in maps, other than light, medium and heavy jungle? Are hamlets or villages modeled? Is it just Vietnam, or do some of the MAC-V missions take place in Laos or Cambodia? Any use of native or indigenous allied troops?

JH . I have this. The counters all represent individuals. The largest total force is a platoon. The maps are random though  that's pretty much down to how much jungle there is. It has a command point system of sorts and there is very basic artillery support. No air.

So to answer in some way your post ... It is very basic stuff. Very. There are a couple of touches around grenades and a few different mission types but little else. I have looked at it but can't say in all honesty it's pulling me back to play more. If you are after a rich fully featured Vietnam war game this is not it. More a light refreshment than a main course and whiles others mileage may vary it's likely already run it's appeal for me.

Jarhead0331

Thanks, Zulu...pretty much the conclusion I had come to. Thanks for jumping on this grenade for the team.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Greybriar

Yes, thanks Zulu. O0

(And thanks for the chuckle, JH.)
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 09, 2018, 09:47:53 AM
Thanks, Zulu...pretty much the conclusion I had come to. Thanks for jumping on this grenade for the team.

No problem. It's a pity really as an historical turnbasefd proper war game on a man to man level is something I would love but just doesn't exist. Lot of fantasy and sci-fi stuff of course  but nothing historical I know of. Used to love the board game sniper back in the day.

jomni

These days, Man to Man level should be depicted like X-Com / Jagged alliance.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: jomni on January 09, 2018, 08:22:25 PM
These days, Man to Man level should be depicted like X-Com / Jagged alliance.

I'd kill for a realistic game that looked and played like XCOM - maybe not as hard though?