Small Memoir '44 AAR

Started by TheCommandTent, February 15, 2012, 04:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

I got together with my one local friend who I can play boardgames face to face with.  So we got out Memoir '44 and played a quick scenario.  I played the Germans who were tasked with counter-attacking the Americans.  On my left flank there is a small hill with infantry station on it overlooking my attack.  As long as the Americans held that hill they could bring air strikes against my forces.  The first side to destroy four of their enemies units would win the scenario.  Optionally I could destroy two enemy forces and take the objective hex in the enemies rear on my left flank.

Above you can see the scenario setup before we began.  After looking over my movement cards and the board before me I decided to drive the attack on my left flank.   I would make use of my elite units and try and knock the Americans off the hill before to much damage was done with their air strikes.

After a couple turns my attack on the left flank was developing nicely.  I managed to wipe out the enemy on the hill before he could launch a second air strike.

I continued to press the attack on my left flank during the next few turns.  However, I ran out of cards for action on my left flank so I pushed forward in the middle.  By this point I had two kills and the Americans had one.

Several turns later my attack using my left flank succeeded despite the enemy reinforcing with tanks and then trying to counterattack my units in the center.  The game ended with my fourth kill to the Americans two and with the momentum firmly in my hand.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Windigo

SCDJ

Thanks for this AAR. I love to read them.
Keep'em coming.

The pics were good and clear - just a bit big
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Windigo on February 15, 2012, 06:01:12 PM
SCDJ

Thanks for this AAR. I love to read them.
Keep'em coming.

The pics were good and clear - just a bit big

Thanks I've got to figure out a way to resize the pictures.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

twitter3

Saw this on your blog.  Thanks for sharing.  Looked like a good game!

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Thanks Guys.

LB - I figured I was part of asking for an AAR board so I better use it :)

Compass Rose

Thanks for the AAR and pics SCDJ.  I have been thinking about getting this game for a few years now however, I don't have the option of meeting with someone to play.

I have a question about your AAR battle.  How did you know that the enemy had air support and you needed to get to that left flank hill before the enemy air support started to causes problems for you?  Is that information available at the beginning of the scenario or had you played it before, and that is how you knew about it?

Thanks

LongBlade

Quote from: Compass Rose on February 16, 2012, 01:40:10 PM
Thanks for the AAR and pics SCDJ.  I have been thinking about getting this game for a few years now however, I don't have the option of meeting with someone to play.

I have a question about your AAR battle.  How did you know that the enemy had air support and you needed to get to that left flank hill before the enemy air support started to causes problems for you?  Is that information available at the beginning of the scenario or had you played it before, and that is how you knew about it?

Thanks

There's now a free online game for you to get in on the action, and it plays very similarly to the boardgame. I think I still prefer the boardgame, but the online game should help scratch that itch until you get the chance to get a group together.

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44-online/en/

Compass Rose

Quote from: LongBlade on February 16, 2012, 01:51:31 PM
There's now a free online game for you to get in on the action, and it plays very similarly to the boardgame. I think I still prefer the boardgame, but the online game should help scratch that itch until you get the chance to get a group together.

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44-online/en/

Thanks LongBlade!

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Compass Rose on February 16, 2012, 01:40:10 PM

Thanks

Thanks!  As far as knowing about the air support and hill on my left flank, that was in the scenario briefing that you are given to set up the scenario with.

There are options to play the game solo if you don't have anyone to play against.  Check this link out

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/414268/how-do-you-play-solo

Compass Rose

Quote from: SCDJ on February 16, 2012, 07:40:02 PM
There are options to play the game solo if you don't have anyone to play against.  Check this link out

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/414268/how-do-you-play-solo
Good link; Thanks!

You are making it harder and harder for me to hold out on getting this game!!  ;)

Do you have any of the add-ons?  The Pacific one interests me.

TheCommandTent

No problem.

I don't have any of the add-ons.  Actually the base game is my friends so I get to play the game without buying it :)  Although I have been very tempted to get it as well.

jomni

The online one is not free.  Once you run out of game currency, you need to buy more for more sessions.  It may get expensive if your addicted and a frequent player.

Windigo

Quote from: jomni on February 29, 2012, 04:47:39 AM
The online one is not free.  Once you run out of game currency, you need to buy more for more sessions.  It may get expensive if your addicted and a frequent player.

What are the rates?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

LongBlade

Quote from: jomni on February 29, 2012, 04:47:39 AM
The online one is not free. 

I stand corrected.

I wondered why they would release the game for free. Now I know. Thanks!