Legends of Callasia

Started by spelk, June 11, 2016, 01:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

Well, this just dropped on Steam today, and it's free to play, so I had a look-see.

Now then, imagine a boardgame style game of territory conquest, where you have fantasy heroes and send armies out to secure and build the land.. your armies can form up and attack, or fortify, or capture, or even teleport if you have the infrastructure to do it... and you also have event or boost cards that can be played as you earn gold to fund your expansion.

I wasn't expecting much, with the F2P moniker attached to the title, but the combat auto-resolves and looks like stacks of cards attacking each other - which is what got me interested in it in the first place. Well, after playing the tutorial, I was hooked. So I stumped up the £13.50 it costs to unlock all the maps and heroes and campaign mode and have just played and won the first scenario with the forest elves race. battling against the undead, orcs and formed an alliance with the men. So there is even a simplistic level of diplomacy on offer too.

And it does skirmish and multiplayer..

All in all, this is a very indie title that delivers the right amount of strategy, without the heavy cost in terms of money or processing power.. with a nice art style and boardgame aesthetic.

Worth a look-see, for free.

You can get it outside of Steam
http://www.boomzap.com/pc/legends-of-callasia-pc/

Arctic Blast

Dammit, man! Why have you introduced me to this?

It's like Battle for Wesnoth's much older and more advanced brother hooked up with Heroes of Might & Magic and they had a kid.

gameleaper

spelk

Quote from: Arctic Blast on June 12, 2016, 10:50:35 PM
Dammit, man! Why have you introduced me to this?

It's like Battle for Wesnoth's much older and more advanced brother hooked up with Heroes of Might & Magic and they had a kid.

Sorry Arctic, but it grabbed me straight away, and I thought others should know about it, at least.

There is some contention with the label F2P on the game, because you only get a limited number of scenarios to play through for free. It's essentially a free demo, and a £13 buy in for the full game.

Not sure why they did that. I suppose marketing reasons? Not sure it was done totally underhanded, just a little misleading.

On their website they label it a "Free demo". If that's any consolation.
http://legends.boomzap.com/

Greybriar

I downloaded and installed Legends of Callasia after reading this thread last night. Then I played the tutorial and liked what I saw. I was going to start a campaign but it was 2 a.m. Today I plan on playing it a bit more before I take the plunge and buy the game.

Thanks for the heads-up, spelk. O0
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.