Here Lies Early Access. RIP

Started by Jarhead0331, September 23, 2018, 04:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

I don't see how that gives Steam any more power.  They already have approval of anything on their site, including EA.  It protects them from some limited liability, but also might potentially limit their revenue.

mikeck

Maybe the best way to handle this is the way I would almost always prefer: let the market decide. People know that an early access product may never be properly developed. The buyer decides whether or not to take that risk based on cost, reputation of the developer, etc.  If it ends up in early access purgatory, then too bad..you lost free-market bingo
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

airboy

Quote from: GaryMc on September 23, 2018, 10:10:28 PM
I've honestly had little interest in Early Access games ever.  Even in the rare games I've Kickstarted, I've not messed with it until the full release. (I think I played 20 minutes of the first Beta Battletech build I had access to, then didn't come back until the real game came out.)

I would rather wait for a complete experience, and then decide if I want to throw my money at it.

^ What he said.

If you buy early access you are buying a promise to complete - in part.  Not everyone keeps their promises.