What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Arctic Blast

^^Charlie Kane is my favorite character in that game. Every damn time he's part of the team, he ends up flying all over the board (not by his choice) and waking up in a new country. I've decided that he's an alcoholic who gets blackout drunk and travels internationally while intoxicated.

trailrunner

I'm playing ASL S50 (N-463).  Looks like a neat scenario with a full mix of combined arms.  The Germans have to make their way south and end the game with enough firepower on a road at the bottom of the map.  The free French are using British infantry counters and American tanks and gun.  The playing area is constrained left-right, but there is a lot of terrain.  The woods and buildings constrict it even more, and the orchards, buildings, and woods make long-range shots difficult.  The Germans have the powerful JgPz V, with the mighty 88 and enough armor to survive just about any frontal hit.  Their infantry is also good quality, they have some good leaders, and since it's late in the war, they also have Panzerfausts.

I was going to write an AAR, but I'm going to try to play through this quickly so that I can start my traditional December Bulge game.

Bison

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

trailrunner

Bison

Makes sense.  I was also thinking maybe exit hexes or something of that nature.

Played a game of Race for the Rhine yesterday which was fun.  Really unique WW2 game concept.

BanzaiCat

Colonial Twilight and also Enemy Coast Ahead: The Doolittle Raid.

James Sterrett

Quote from: Bison on December 02, 2017, 09:01:14 AM
Played a game of Race for the Rhine yesterday which was fun.  Really unique WW2 game concept.

Bison victorious as Patton! (Also pictured are Mike Dunn as Bradley and Justin Williamson as Montgomery).

bayonetbrant

Makes sense.  I was also thinking maybe exit hexes or something of that nature.
I didn't know for sure 'til TR confirmed it, but seeing the mass of Germans just above that row like the starters at a 5k race made me think of that.

I saw the pix :)

edit:  just saw Sterrett's post - ninja'ed!

There's another similar game from an older Battles! magazine.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/60228/race-berlin-final-struggle
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: BanzaiCat on December 02, 2017, 09:04:21 AM
Colonial Twilight and also Enemy Coast Ahead: The Doolittle Raid.

Doolittle is great!  Fair bit of work flipping all the counters in and out of draw cups but it's worth it.  My last raid bombed Tokyo, Nagoya, and Osaka to decent effect but our planned landing field in China got overrun by the Japanese and only one plane out of twelve made it to an alternate field.  The rest had to ditch and their crews try to trek overland to Chunking. 

Nefaro

Dammit..

Was thinking of doing a little tabletop gaming this weekend.

Then I got saddled with fixing family members' computers.  Had to order another part, so I got PC guts and hardware taking up my gaming table.  Not to mention my own upgrade to do in a couple days.

Too many hobbies!   <:-)

GJK

Quote from: trailrunner on November 28, 2017, 08:48:04 PM
<a very beautiful picture of true wargaming bliss snipped for brevity>

I'm playing ASL S50 (N-463).  Looks like a neat scenario with a full mix of combined arms.  The Germans have to make their way south and end the game with enough firepower on a road at the bottom of the map.  The free French are using British infantry counters and American tanks and gun.  The playing area is constrained left-right, but there is a lot of terrain.  The woods and buildings constrict it even more, and the orchards, buildings, and woods make long-range shots difficult.  The Germans have the powerful JgPz V, with the mighty 88 and enough armor to survive just about any frontal hit.  Their infantry is also good quality, they have some good leaders, and since it's late in the war, they also have Panzerfausts.

*This post GROG APPROVED*
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

I battled James in a couple of games.  Supply Lines of the American Revolution and Combat Commander Europe.  Supply Lines is a fun game with simple rules, but plenty of strategy.

mirth

Quote from: James Sterrett on December 02, 2017, 09:47:30 AM

Bison victorious as Patton! (Also pictured are Mike Dunn as Bradley and Justin Williamson as Montgomery).

Awesome  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus