The Weekend's Feature: Comparing Waterloo Games

Started by bayonetbrant, April 23, 2016, 07:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

My very first wargame was Waterloo after the American Heritage series. Things are MUCH improved today. I think my very favorite Waterloo game was SSI's Battles of Napoleon version where my strategy of going after the Iron Duke's weaker Dutch units was shredded by the AI's counter moves and ended in the bloodbath it was historically. Great article.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

panzerde

Wow, I haven't seen a mention of Universal Military Simulator for decades. The hours and hours I spent with that game...

Another excellent run down of what's available. Waterloo 200 is almost enough to overcome my aversion to block games.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bayonetbrant

Quote from: panzerde on May 21, 2016, 11:40:20 AM
Wow, I haven't seen a mention of Universal Military Simulator for decades. The hours and hours I spent with that game...

There was the interview w/ Dr Sidran last month ::)

panzerde

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 21, 2016, 12:01:44 PM
Quote from: panzerde on May 21, 2016, 11:40:20 AM

There was the interview w/ Dr Sidran last month ::)

Honestly? I went straight to the game's web site and didn't read the article here.

Cyrano

My conceptual continuity is lost on the unenlightened.  MetalDog would understand.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

panzerde

Quote from: Cyrano on May 21, 2016, 02:30:57 PM
My conceptual continuity is lost on the unenlightened.  MetalDog would understand.

You hoped for conceptual continuity with this audience?

The election is over and you've started drinking again, haven't you?

bayonetbrant

GJK

Nicely informative article and well timed for me, having recently acquired a copy of LABAT "Les Quatra Bras" (the battle of 4 bras).  I'm still working my way through the "Regs".  One major roadblock in that series has been deciding on which set of rules to use for it.  There's the RAW that came with the game (aka "La Bataille ME" (Marshall Edition), Regs M-L (Marie-Louise, the "ASL-SK" style as mentioned in the article), full "Regs" (the most widely used) or any one of the various house rule sets ('Tactiques Napoleon' being a popular one).  Each have their own strengths and weaknesses but it's a shame that the players of the games can't come to a consensus or standardization on the rules.

As for the article, my only suggestion for the layout would be to have the title and producer of the game listed in bold heading above the related paragraph(s) in order to distinguish the paragraphs apart better (the italic font within the paragraph doesn't stand out well enough I don't believe).

Good stuff, congrats to Jim on the very informative piece!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Cyrano

Thanks, GJK.  I will say that I've managed to lure a few remote opponents with promises that the M-L is a more sane variant and they've (three souls) agreed.  I'd happily play either.

I tend to resist home rule sets lest I lose a prospective opponent at a con or the like.  On-line, of course, is another matter entirely.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

MetalDog

Quote from: Cyrano on May 21, 2016, 02:30:57 PM

You are correct, sir!  I do understand :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Barthheart