Planes!

Started by bayonetbrant, March 03, 2013, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

QuoteChinese carrier based J-15s with wings folded

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteGrumman Wildcat fighter aircraft and Supermarine Seafires ranged for take-off on the flight deck of HMS FORMIDABLE.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on March 22, 2018, 05:52:28 PM
QuoteGrumman Wildcat fighter aircraft and Supermarine Seafires ranged for take-off on the flight deck of HMS FORMIDABLE.

Those would be 'Martlet' fighter aircraft if in RN service. The last batch of Grumman fighters delivered to the Fleet Air Arm did keep the Wildcat name but by that time the HMS Formidable had been re-equiped with clipped-wing Corsairs. Those same Corsairs took part in several attacks on the Battleship Tirpitz while it was hold up in its built-up Norwegian Fjord.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 22, 2018, 06:11:02 PM
Quote from: mirth on March 22, 2018, 05:52:28 PM

Those would be 'Martlet' fighter aircraft if in RN service. The last batch of Grumman fighters delivered to the Fleet Air Arm did keep the Wildcat name but by that time the HMS Formidable had been re-equiped with clipped-wing Corsairs. Those same Corsairs took part in several attacks on the Battleship Tirpitz while it was hold up in its built-up Norwegian Fjord.

Interestingly, the pic and caption come form the IWM website

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205188318

Staggerwing

Many of you will probably know who this is:

Eric 'Winkle' Brown with a Martlet I

http://www.armouredcarriers.com/grumman-f4f-martlet-variants/

^Lots of conditional Fleet Air Arm love for the F4F.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 22, 2018, 07:21:32 PM
Lots of conditional Fleet Air Arm love for the F4F.

The same could be said of the USN.

mirth

mirth

mirth

mirth

mirth

QuoteJapanese F-15DJ Eagle from the Tactical Fighter Training Group

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

mirth

mirth