Scythe Boardgame for PC

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 15, 2018, 06:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Just curious if anyone has experience with the boardgame....thought I read in different places this was a very popular boardgame and noticed it was now released to Steam in early access.  Any opinions on it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/718560/Scythe_Digital_Edition/

Gusington

I've got this on my wish list too, haven't seen too much talk around here on the boardgame though.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Zulu1966

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 15, 2018, 06:10:10 AM
Just curious if anyone has experience with the boardgame....thought I read in different places this was a very popular boardgame and noticed it was now released to Steam in early access.  Any opinions on it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/718560/Scythe_Digital_Edition/

How is a board game conversion in early access ? I mean it's either the full board game or it's not isn't it ? Bit wary of reviews saying just like the board game when by implication of the fact it is in early access suggests it not ?
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

JasonPratt

Early access means the programming code of course, not the boardgame.  ::) Are there bugs if you click a button, etc.

It can be bought cheaper for Tabletop Simulator, as a really nice conversion, but of course it's mostly manual not an actual computer adaptation, no AI, pieces have to be picked up and placed manually.

I'm keeping an eye on it leaving Early Access.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jomni

There is an RTS with the same theme right? Iron Harvest

Gusington

Yes, same game world, funded on Kickstarter.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

I've never played Scythe on the table. 

Heard good things, and maybe a few nitpicks, but I never gave it a spin because it came across as more of a "Euro" style game.  i.e. Worker placement.  As in the main strategy consists of allocating pieces to areas which, in turn, rack up resources/points over time.  It seems to have a bit more theme to it than many Euros but I still got that Euro impression of the gameplay mechanics.  Looks kinda cool, though.

Many people love Euro-style boardgames.  I usually skip them because the game mechanics tend to have more of an abstract strategy focus, rather than having a heavy rules tie-in with the fictional or historical theme as with war/strategy games or adventure games.  Again, Scythe appears to be a bit better at that than full-on Euros, however, so my impressions could be overwrought in this case.

Just be aware that personal preference is probably a big factor of whether this boardgame is considered great or meh.  Sorry for the unfulfilling non-answer!   <:-)

Queeg

I tried the Tabletop Simulator version of Scythe but found the set up and overall mechanics too tedious to be enjoyable.

I've taken the plunge on this version mostly to support the developer during EA because I'd like to see more really good board games converted to PC.  PC game development too often seems like graphic engines in search of an actual game.  Kinda like a movie based on a premise instead of a script.  There are good, proven scripts out there if more developers would look at them.     

Silent Disapproval Robot

Two of the gaming groups I attend regularly often play Scythe and enjoy it.  I personally don't care for it very much.  The art is fantastic and the production quality of the physical game is excellent.  I just don't care for the gameplay very much.  It may look like a combat focussed game with the Steampunk WWI aesthetic and the mech minis, but it's not.  It's a resource management Euro with a bit of area control built in.  You're basically trying to find the most efficient way to earn points each turn while being artificially constrained as you're not allowed to take the same action two turns in a row (unless you're the Russia stand-ins). Points are earned in a wide variety of ways and this, to me, makes the game rather a dull affair because it means everyone's essentially playing solo and trying to complete their points salad rather than paying attention to what other players are doing and then interacting with then to thwart their plans.  It's a giant scramble of points optimization. 

I don't hate it but I definitely don't look forward to playing it either.

Gusington

Once again, an appropriate post for your avatar.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Gusington on June 15, 2018, 04:35:08 PM
Once again, an appropriate post for your avatar.

I approve of this assessment.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

DennisS

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 15, 2018, 02:24:34 PM
Two of the gaming groups I attend regularly often play Scythe and enjoy it.  I personally don't care for it very much.  The art is fantastic and the production quality of the physical game is excellent.  I just don't care for the gameplay very much.  It may look like a combat focussed game with the Steampunk WWI aesthetic and the mech minis, but it's not.  It's a resource management Euro with a bit of area control built in.  You're basically trying to find the most efficient way to earn points each turn while being artificially constrained as you're not allowed to take the same action two turns in a row (unless you're the Russia stand-ins). Points are earned in a wide variety of ways and this, to me, makes the game rather a dull affair because it means everyone's essentially playing solo and trying to complete their points salad rather than paying attention to what other players are doing and then interacting with then to thwart their plans.  It's a giant scramble of points optimization. 

I don't hate it but I definitely don't look forward to playing it either.

I watched a couple more videos, and I think I agree with you here. Not a lot of action, not a lot of excitement. If I want a worker placement game, I'll stick with Lords of Waterdeep.