First Impressions anyone?

Started by TacticalWargames, December 08, 2014, 02:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

He means don't let your AARs or reviews of games on this site get extensively quoted on other sites without your permission. An AAR or review writer has certain rights to his material.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TacticalWargames

I can understand that:) Though haven't noticed it myself. On my facebook page I sometimes link to a review though I wouldn't copy and paste to try and take some sort of credit.

spelk

Quote from: GJK on December 11, 2014, 02:38:03 PM
I was hoping to reinstall my copy of AGW but the backup archive that I made of the CD is corrupted and of course I can't find the original CD anywhere.  Oh well, I'll see about picking up WWII after the holidays some time.

GJK just contact Ron, I'm sure he'll help out with your AGW installation if you are having problems.

From his official site (his contact address is):
schwerpt@wargamer.com

pzgndr

I was hoping to reinstall my copy of AGW but the backup archive that I made of the CD is corrupted and of course I can't find the original CD anywhere.  Oh well, I'll see about picking up WWII after the holidays some time.

You'll find WWIIE has everything RGW/AGW had and more; no need to go back.  Ron still has a couple of gameplay kinks to work out but the initial release version is quite playable.

Barthheart

Quote from: pzgndr on December 12, 2014, 07:56:48 AM

You'll find WWIIE has everything RGW/AGW had and more; no need to go back.  Ron still has a couple of gameplay kinks to work out but the initial release version is quite playable.

+1
O0

GJK

Quote from: pzgndr on December 12, 2014, 07:56:48 AM

It's a 'no doubt purchase' for me, I just don't want to wait until after the holidays.... :crazy2:

I'll see if Ron has a record of my previous purchases (I had both AGW/RGW) and can help me out with the media for those and if not, then I'll just wait.  Ron's a good guy, I believe that we've chatted before a long while back.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

panzerde

Picked this up this evening. Received a download link on Christmas Day shortly after I submitted payment, for which Ron deserves kudos.

The depth and accuracy of the game are impressive. Graphics are spare to say the least, but for the most part functional. The gameplay feels very much like a board game and from what I've played, quite good. There's a really nice operational game here that's been well researched. The basic game system seems enjoyable and the game phases make sense.

The UI really leave a very great deal to be desired, unfortunately. I can probably get used to the really cumbersome way that units are selected and the opaque way that stack contents are displayed, but I really, really hope future patches fix all of the stuff that is constantly flickering on the screen. Far, far too much information appears and disappears in odd places on the screen as the mouse moves. The toolbar appears and disappears regardless of the setting to hide it or not. Map scrolling is frustrating. Having the map reset to the highest view level every turn and having to mess around getting back to my previous view nearly had me rage quitting the game.

I'm going to spend some more time with this tomorrow because the gameplay seems worth the investment, in the hopes that I will learn a means around at least the map reset issue. If that's not possible though, I'm going to regret not buy WitW instead of this. There's just too much friction in fighting the software to allow the game to shine through.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Barthheart

The map resetting to the Europe map view is for FOW... ie you can't see what the enemy is doing. If you just click in the red square when it's your phase again you will return to the most zoomed in view.

The UI does take getting used to but this one is much improved over the last iterations.

There is a good game in here.... maybe we'll have to try a PBEM game?

panzerde

Quote from: Barthheart on December 26, 2014, 06:22:51 AM
The map resetting to the Europe map view is for FOW... ie you can't see what the enemy is doing. If you just click in the red square when it's your phase again you will return to the most zoomed in view.

The UI does take getting used to but this one is much improved over the last iterations.

There is a good game in here.... maybe we'll have to try a PBEM game?

Thanks, I'll give the red square click a try. I agree that there's a good game in there.

Definitely up for a PBEM game. Let me get a couple of the smaller scenarios under my belt so I feel less like I'm still figuring out the game mechanics and can concentrate on strategy, and I'm all in!

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres