Tiger in the Tank - Kurt Knispel found!

Started by spelk, April 25, 2013, 08:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

"The remains of Kurt Knispel - who was the tank warfare equivalent of what the Red Baron was to flight - were found by historians at the Moravian Museum in Vrbovec lying in an unmarked grave for German soldiers at a cemetery in Znojemsko."

http://www.croatiantimes.com/news/Around_the_World/2013-04-17/32974/TIGER_IN_THE_TANK_-_Historians_Find_Body_Of_German_War_Hero

Martok

I'd never heard of him before.  Cool story. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Centurion40

Yeah, sounds like a unique historical figure... almost a caricature of a real-life figure.
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

I had never heard of him either. How is he not as widely known as Wittman?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Zulu1966

Quote from: mirth on April 25, 2013, 11:26:34 AM

This I would presume ...

Though he was recommended for it four times, Knispel never received the coveted Knight's Cross, a standard award for most other World War II German tank aces. But he was not keen for honours, and when there were conflicting claims for a destroyed enemy tank, Knispel always stepped back, always willing to credit success to someone else.

Knispel's slow promotion is attributed to several conflicts with higher Nazi authorities and he once assaulted a senior officer whom he saw mistreating Soviet POWs.

He also had longer than allowed hair and a beard and a tattoo - the latter that was used to identify him when his body was found in an unmarked grave on the Czech-Austrian border.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

Windigo

Quote from: Zulu1966 on April 25, 2013, 11:36:25 AM
Quote from: mirth on April 25, 2013, 11:26:34 AM

This I would presume ...

Though he was recommended for it four times, Knispel never received the coveted Knight's Cross, a standard award for most other World War II German tank aces. But he was not keen for honours, and when there were conflicting claims for a destroyed enemy tank, Knispel always stepped back, always willing to credit success to someone else.

Knispel's slow promotion is attributed to several conflicts with higher Nazi authorities and he once assaulted a senior officer whom he saw mistreating Soviet POWs.

He also had longer than allowed hair and a beard and a tattoo - the latter that was used to identify him when his body was found in an unmarked grave on the Czech-Austrian border.

gotta love nonconformity in a space where it is not tolerated well
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

he was profiled in the second Panzer Aces book.  quite the character that one!

http://rzm.com/books/sp/sp007.cfm

http://rzm.com/books/sp/sp008.cfm
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

He sounds like the panzer equivalent of Luftwaffe ace Hans-Joachim Marseille.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jack Nastyface

...I was thinking he was sort of the Axis version of Oddball from Kelly's Heroes.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

GDS_Starfury

get those books.  theyre excellent reads.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.