Anyone Get Thief 3 to Work on Windows 7?

Started by Gusington, March 13, 2012, 01:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I have a sudden crushing need to play Thief 3. I have a hard copy of it but I could not get it to work on Vista. A quick visit to Ask.com showed that users were having troubles getting it to work on Windows 7 too. Anyone here have it working?

I also see that it is available on Steam for 20.00. Anyone purchase it from there? I am going to take a leap of faith and guess that if it is on Steam it is optimized for newer machines running Windows 7. Thief is one of my favorite series ever and I have no problem paying for it again if the Steam version will work.

Also would like to get necessary patches and hi res mods, so if you know where those live and have a link, please post here. Thanks all!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Nobody has gotten Thief III to work on 7 or purchased it from Steam? Damn. And I thought I knew you :(

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Quote from: LongBlade on March 20, 2012, 02:42:38 PM
Quote from: Bison on March 20, 2012, 02:40:06 PM
I have never played a Thief game.

You, my friend, have been ripped off.

Maybe in an artistic sense, but it seems as though it is Gus who was ripped off.

I'm going to need to youtube this Thief game to see what I've missed out on.

Gusington

Bison, please...stop whatever you're doing right now (even if it involves breasts and beer) and play some Thief. It is one of the best series ever.

Then tell me how you played it on your 7-based machine immediately.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on March 20, 2012, 03:01:01 PM
Bison, please...stop whatever you're doing right now (even if it involves breasts and beer)

Belay that order!

If it involves breasts and beer you may proceed.

Bison

/Sigh/  Breasts.  How I do miss them so....

Arctic Blast

Bison, please...stop whatever you're doing right now (even if it involves breasts and beer) and play some Thief. It is one of the best series ever.

It's nonsense like that that gets a man demoted, sir! Hell, the bracketed statement may be grounds for a dishonorable discharge from the ranks of manhood.

LongBlade

Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 20, 2012, 05:47:13 PM

It's nonsense like that that gets a man demoted, sir! Hell, the bracketed statement may be grounds for a dishonorable discharge from the ranks of manhood.

Easy now.

Gus is having a hard time. His neighbor's house was picked for the Dark Shadows movie over his. I'm sure we can all sympathize with that to some extent.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: LongBlade on March 20, 2012, 05:49:59 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 20, 2012, 05:47:13 PM

Easy now.

Gus is having a hard time. His neighbor's house was picked for the Dark Shadows movie over his. I'm sure we can all sympathize with that to some extent.

Hmmm...okay, good point. We'll chalk this up to the effects of emotional trauma.

Gusington

I stand by my statement: Thief rocks.

BTW you guys would love my new neighbors...they are planning for the apocalypse and asked if we were too because we fly the Gadsden Flag. The Wife told them that we just want to be left the f*ck alone and have no political affiliation. Nice.

They also collect firearms and keep them in a safe in their basement. And they own two pit bulls. The little promontory we share has quietly become one of the most secure spots in all of New York State :)

And they love breasts and beer. And play Thief. On Windows 7. Can anyone here do that?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

Never played any of them. Wasnt Thief a mod of Heretic or something? Its a skulking FPS? What makes it good?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

LongBlade

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on March 21, 2012, 02:13:06 PM
Never played any of them. Wasnt Thief a mod of Heretic or something? Its a skulking FPS? What makes it good?

The stealth aspect. Combat was always a bad idea. You *could* take out one guard, but it decreased your points (the game is called Thief, not Assassin). Better t always avoid. In that respect it was something of a puzzle-solver - you have to figure out how to get around all the guards without getting caught. It might not sound like much, but the atmosphere was intense and it was very fun.

Gusington

The atmosphere was one of the best ever. Level design was also fantastic, as was the feeling of being in a great city.

Anyone have it working on W7 yet?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd