Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star ON STEAM!

Started by Jarhead0331, February 11, 2014, 07:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Has anyone tried adding game content bought from another source to their Steam GTOS install -- like say the Krasnaya Polyana module (not yet available on Steam)?  Would love to know if that works. 

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: jomni on November 06, 2014, 07:06:20 AM

SDR, thanks for the overview.  I hear that you can change from spot to a rectangular or linear area bombardment.  How do you do that?  I have only tried moving the initial circles.

I always forget something.  If you want to switch from a circle to a rectangle or line, just hold down the right mouse button and drag when you're placing the target marker. 

jomni

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 06, 2014, 01:41:14 PM
Has anyone tried adding game content bought from another source to their Steam GTOS install -- like say the Krasnaya Polyana module (not yet available on Steam)?  Would love to know if that works.

Should be workable because the Updating GUI has the option for you to point to an installer.  Just don't know if you need to respect any sequence.

GDS_Starfury

so I just got this and all the WW2 packages during the Steam sale this weekend.  where should I start if I want to skip the tutorials and just dive right in. 

or... should I play the tutorials?

it would seem that my only Steam friend that plays this is Gus.  ::)  should I use him as my tutorial?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: jomni on November 06, 2014, 07:06:20 AM

Long story:  But the funny thing is that Steam will just download the latest patch exe.  And the familiar patching GUI will come out when you run the game and you can then just press a button to install the patch.  With the DLC's it will also show you that GUI to install the add-ons.  It is somewhat automatic as Steam will download the stuff for you when it's available but there is still a manual trigger to actually install the patch.  :2funny:
Still way better than the old process though.

more detail on this please because one of the DLC's I got doesnt show up in the campaign selection screen.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm not sure how the Steam version works but if it's similar to the non-steam version then try this.

1) Start the game.
2) Click "Update" from the game menu.
     This should bring up a Windows GUI box that looks something like this.

3) Click "Install"
4)  Navigate to your Steam folder and select one of the game's DLC folders.  Open it and then open the sub-folder named "CORE".
5)  In the bottom right of the install screen, you should see a drop-down tab.  Select "addons*.addpack"

6)  Select the file "desc.addpack" in the CORE folder.
7)  The DLC should then install and appear on your list.  Click "save and play" and see if the campaign appears in your game.

GDS_Starfury

thanks.  I'll try that tomorrow.  its the Shilovo DLC that isn't showing up.

jomni

Yes the Steam version retains that UI which makes patching and installing add-ons  not automatic.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 11, 2014, 12:24:29 AM
so I just got this and all the WW2 packages during the Steam sale this weekend.  where should I start if I want to skip the tutorials and just dive right in. 

or... should I play the tutorials?

it would seem that my only Steam friend that plays this is Gus.  ::)  should I use him as my tutorial?

Try setting up a couple of quick battles just to get a feel for the tactical engine.  Once you're comfortable with that, I'd say start with Volokonovka as the Germans if you want to play offence or Krasnaya Polyana as the Soviets if you want to play defence.   

magnus

I added my Gamersgate addons per the above instructions.

It looked like it took, but I don't see the new campaigns/battles listed to play.

When you pick your game should they be listed by name?

Silent Disapproval Robot

The campaign selection screen should look something like this.

Each campaign DLC will be listed with a map icon on the left showing where the battle took place.  Clicking on the campaign header will open up all the scenarios available in the campaign.  Each scenario will show a flag indicating which nation you'll play along with a photo. 

You may need to scroll down using the bar on the right in order to see all the campaigns and scenario available.

Here's a link to a short tutorial.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3116746

magnus

Thanks, I found out what I did wrong. I had to hit  the " save /play" button for them to show up.

When I opened the game again they were all gone, until I reinstalled and did the above.

Krabb

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 11, 2014, 01:02:35 AM
I'm not sure how the Steam version works but if it's similar to the non-steam version then try this.
<...>
This is not necessary on steam for its DLCs, and very outdated for non-steam ones. Current DLCs are packed into .gt2extension files (the default filetype in the updater), no CORE and addpacks unpacking.

Quote from: jomni on November 11, 2014, 02:29:17 AM
Yes the Steam version retains that UI which makes patching and installing add-ons  not automatic.
This isn't true. It's automatic, but you have to press Save&Play as magnus said. Otherwise, the updater doesn't save its data about newly installed stuff. Yep, somewhat confusing. ???

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 11, 2014, 01:25:28 AM
its the Shilovo DLC that isn't showing up.
If you hadn't pressed Save&Play, the installation of this DLC should restart when you restart the game. When something gets installed, generally, you have to press Save&Play, not just exit from the updater.

Shilovo and Volokonovka are in Operation "Fall Blau" section, Krasnaya Polyana is in Operation "Star" section. Others are easy to find I think.

Krabb

There is a sale going on on Steam until 2 December (and on GamersGate, too).