What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I was excited to get DVG's 'War of the Worlds,' but the rules are rather confusing. I'm going to have to read through them again.

The game looks cool, though.

Staggerwing

^ I'm still waiting for my copy. I went with the Old Blighty edition.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

I've been humming and hah'ing over what game to put out. Gaming real estate is a premium in the summer months because I want to make models in the good light....

I've had the Heroes of The Falklands manual out. I've had the Target for Today manual out. In the end, I've choosen to go back to Conflict of Heroes. Bawb sold me the collection Storms of Steel and Price of Honor and I bought the Solo pack some time ago.

Opening the manual I immediately remembered how excellent the rules are. This is going to be pretty easy to get into. Much simpler imo than LnL games. I prefer the scale of the LnL games and love some aspects of the games - but the tight time scales on the missions, spotting, morale and the requirement of a leader to be able to steady a unit just exasperate me. They are absolutely realistic aspects - but from a gaming perspective, they just leave me feeling frustrated.

So - in short, Conflict of Heroes it is - and I'll give the Solo expansion an outing too.
Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

I just started listening to an audiobook about Guadalcanal so the urge to break out CoH: Guadalcanal has been growing.  I've played it a handful of times with some guys from my local group and everyone enjoyed it quite a bit but none of them were willing to take on any but the first three scenarios in the book as all but those first three incorporates hidden setup/movement.

I picked up LnL: Heroes of North Africa and it looks like it'll be fun.  I was surprised at how few German and US units were present in the game and just how many Italian units are present. 

I also picked up the DVG version of Down in Flames: Aces High and Down in Flames: Guns Blazing as they were on clearance at one of the mail order stores a few weeks ago.  It looks like it could be a fun little game.  Sadly, the components in the Guns Blazing box have some quality control issues.  Oh well, for the price I'm not too worried about it.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 17, 2018, 02:22:14 AM
I just started listening to an audiobook about Guadalcanal so the urge to break out CoH: Guadalcanal has been growing.  I've played it a handful of times with some guys from my local group and everyone enjoyed it quite a bit but none of them were willing to take on any but the first three scenarios in the book as all but those first three incorporates hidden setup/movement.

I picked up LnL: Heroes of North Africa and it looks like it'll be fun.  I was surprised at how few German and US units were present in the game and just how many Italian units are present. 

I also picked up the DVG version of Down in Flames: Aces High and Down in Flames: Guns Blazing as they were on clearance at one of the mail order stores a few weeks ago.  It looks like it could be a fun little game.  Sadly, the components in the Guns Blazing box have some quality control issues.  Oh well, for the price I'm not too worried about it.
I'm not sure and I'll do some digging, but I wonder if the "hidden units" and "pre-planned artillery" are taken care of in the solo expansion...brb (admittedly though the solo expansion isn't compatible for anything other than AtB, SoS and PoF)

So I didn't see anything mentioned about existing firefights with hidden units of off board arty being taken care of - however, the Solo expansion has it's own firefights with "rumoured units" where a unit might be there and might not.

So the expansion comes with some specific firefights.

Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

I have At Any Cost: Metz 1870 and Fields of Fire 2nd Edition coming today, and Tide Of Iron Next Wave coming next week.

bob48

On the table ATM is 'Black Wednesday - The Battle of Krasni Bor 10-11 Feb 1943'. This one of the 'Gamers/MMP' Tactical Combat Series games and is interesting as it features the 250th (Spanish 'Blue') Division.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

W8taminute

Finished my first game, played all by myself, of 1754 Conquest.  Great game.  Easy to play especially when played alone.  Took me about 75 minutes to finish but only because 3 of the four truce cards were in play by the end of turn 3.  (I did do my best shuffling of the decks but obviously it wasn't good enough.

Enjoy:

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bbmike

^That's an excellent series. I played 1775 at Origins last year and ended up buying it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on May 27, 2018, 04:34:32 PM
^That's an excellent series. I played 1775 at Origins last year and ended up buying it.

Why didn't you buy MOO?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Cyrano

Shrink off?
All of them.  That's how we get at the rules.

Actually played?
Next question.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806