Main Menu

Steam Mover

Started by JudgeDredd, February 25, 2018, 03:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

For anyone with limited space on an SSD who might want to move programs on and off it, there's a program called SteamMover.

It allows you to move Steam games from your SSD to another drive or vice versa...so when you no longer fire up that game that's using a shed load of space on your SSD, you can move it off easily and move that other Steam game that's now your favourite onto your SSD.
Alba gu' brath

Thomasew

I used to use Steam Mover, .. now I just use Steam itself to move my Steam installs around, .. much easier.

..via, .. Properties, Local Files, move Install folder.

I have Steam stuff on 4 drives .. :)

Cheers
Tom
He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win

bbmike

Quote from: Thomasew on February 25, 2018, 06:44:31 AM

I used to use Steam Mover, .. now I just use Steam itself to move my Steam installs around, .. much easier.

..via, .. Properties, Local Files, move Install folder.

I have Steam stuff on 4 drives .. :)

Cheers
Tom

+1. Steam can do this without secondary software. I moved all of mine over to a secondary SSD.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

I didn't know Steam let you do that. The last I knew, Steam would only allow you to change the location during install.

However, Steammover does have the added benefit of seeing which games are installed where. Recently my daughter was playing Mafia III and I saw it was loading slow...loading Steammover, I was able to see which programs (and sizes) were installed on my SSD and move them off.

Being able to see at a glance which games are installed and, more crucially, the size of those games allowed me to determine what games I had to move off the SSD in order to be able to squeeze on the not so insignificant Mafia III.

But - if Steam's ability to move a game is all you need - then that's cool. I just saw someone mentioning recently about premium SSD space and having to cull some games to get a game installed on it - thought Steammover might help them.
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Yeah JD, I don't think Steam has always had that feature. Looks like Steam Mover has a few more bells and whistles, though.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak