No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 13, 2016, 01:03:05 PM
I agree with Ian C. I stole another two hours this morning and am thoroughly hooked. The game so far is like crack. It's all I'm thinking about at the moment...where to go next, what to upgrade and how to make more money.

It might be some inexplicable thing like civilian flight simulation or European / American Truck simulator.  Just going about and seeing things.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

Hi.  For some reason I cannot switch to full screen mode. Nothing happens when I click the options.

Ok figured it out.  You have to click and hold.  Duh.

I think the view is awkward. Like zoomed in.  Any way to adjust?

Capn Darwin

FOV settings in the options for the PC version.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

solops

Is this game kind of like X-Rebirth?

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

jomni

Quote from: solops on August 13, 2016, 10:01:30 PM
Is this game kind of like X-Rebirth?

Nope. Like mine craft .
But without building of structures.

jomni

Quote from: Capn Darwin on August 13, 2016, 08:38:08 PM

I'm now at 100 doesn't seem to do much.

MikeGER

6 hours into the game, still in the same solar system, visited 3 planets and exploring them and deliver the trade items that to fast fill up my small storage capacity to the space station for cash

in the meantime i found also outpost-ruins where the vegetation had started to creep inside.... and was able to reset some alien machinery outpots to get them functional again   

JH, et al. is right! This piece of software is highly addictive :coolsmiley: O0
to enjoy the "game" you better have to channel your inner Chagall, Dali, and also Ansel Adams (landscape photography) not so much your inner Roddenberry or Lucas, and don't even think about your inner S.Hawking, or C.Darvin.

its about the journey, the sudden vistas of stunning surrealistic-psychedelic landscapes (and with the knowledge at the back of one's mind that you are the first and probably also the last human who will ever see exactly this picture)

Its like hiking Zion National Park and similar places in UT and AZ.  I didn't hiked to The Subway (on a rare permit) for just the workout... but would have loved to also had a little jetpack on the last klick on way back up the cliff to the trailhead ;-)

IMHO the game mechanic and the story to uncover is just one method to get the visitors to join the Vernissage, to move on from exposition hall to exposition hall and from picture to picture of contemporary fluxus-style computer art on display

jomni

I have visited 4 planets.  Three are "barren" moons.  They all have one type of dominant flora: -- Giant mushrooms.  Just different colours.  Lacks variety so far.  In fact, even the minor plants are the same.

Ian C

Quote from: jomni on August 14, 2016, 03:11:44 AM
I have visited 4 planets.  Three are "barren" moons.  They all have one type of dominant flora: -- Giant mushrooms.  Just different colours.  Lacks variety so far.  In fact, even the minor plants are the same.

It changes when you go to other systems. I started on a radioactive red planet that was completely hostile and somewhat barren. I hyperdrived to the next system and now I'm on a relatively Earth-like planet with oceans, mountains and subterranean areas. Tip for deep sea diving: use jet pack to surface for air.

Quote from: jomni on August 14, 2016, 12:37:43 AM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on August 13, 2016, 08:38:08 PM

I'm now at 100 doesn't seem to do much.

Same here.

jomni

I've been to two systems. The "moons" all look the same so far. But the planets are kinda different.

Barthheart

So I bought in because of you lot. :P

Wasn't sure my ancient machine could do it but managed 95 minutes last night with no crashes.

My machine spec:
Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 @2.33 GHz
8GB ram
Win10 64 bit
GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB

Bit of work to get the video settings right to smooth out the play but it works fine.

It's.... interesting so far.... but of a struggle to figure out and remember the commands.... might try switching to my 360 controller to see if I can remember easier.
But "Time Vampire" is a good description for the game....

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: MikeGER on August 14, 2016, 02:41:41 AM
6 hours into the game, still in the same solar system

6 hours in and I'm still on the same planet. I've discovered countless outposts and have repaired two ships - now running a 17-slot ship (big deal for me!) as well as 2 new weapons.

JudgeDredd

I think I hate you all.

Thankfully I'm on holiday and so can't buy...hopefully you lot will be semi negative about it by the time I'm back
Alba gu' brath

steve58

Quote from: Barthheart on August 14, 2016, 06:45:18 AM
So I bought in because of you lot. :P

Wasn't sure my ancient machine could do it but managed 95 minutes last night with no crashes.

My machine spec:
Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 @2.33 GHz
8GB ram
Win10 64 bit
GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB

Bit of work to get the video settings right to smooth out the play but it works fine.

It's.... interesting so far.... but of a struggle to figure out and remember the commands.... might try switching to my 360 controller to see if I can remember easier.
But "Time Vampire" is a good description for the game....

Not going to be getting NMS anytime soon, but probably will in a future sale so thanks for posting your specs.  I also have an old PC, similar to yours (Core2 Quad Q9450 @2.66 GHz, GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB) so glad to know it should run on my rig. O0
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)