No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

The game won't load for me. At first I thought it was because my GFX card was sub-par but it is higher rated than Barth's so it must be an ATI thing. I'll try and fiddle with updates and give it another go later.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

W8taminute

Just noticed this thread and wanted to find out what everyone here at GH thought of the game.  Good stuff guys and thanks for all your comments.  I'll keep the game on my wishlist and wait for it's inevitable price cut. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

jomni

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on August 14, 2016, 07:46:40 AM
Quote from: MikeGER on August 14, 2016, 02:41:41 AM
6 hours into the game, still in the same solar system

6 hours in and I'm still on the same planet. I've discovered countless outposts and have repaired two ships - now running a 17-slot ship (big deal for me!) as well as 2 new weapons.

6 hours and I'm in my 4th solar system, a dozen palnets explored (not fully). Two races encountered.
I seldom walk and fly my ship along points of interest.

Some observations.
Talk to aliens in their ships in the hangar, you can offer to buy their ship.
Give food to animals, they will poop minerals. 
Plants are boring. They are repetitive across all planets.
i love the part where I learn alien language by exploring ruins.

Barthheart

Another 90 minutes gone.... now using my 360 controller... finding that much easier to use that mouse and keyboard... don't hate me.

Finally got my ship flying and into space. Onto 2nd planet... might explore more here rather than just follow "story" line... if that's what it is...

I'm gonna need a bigger boat.....

W8taminute

Quote from: Barthheart on August 14, 2016, 09:13:13 AM
Another 90 minutes gone.... now using my 360 controller... finding that much easier to use that mouse and keyboard... don't hate me.

No hate here for anyone who finds an easier way to enjoy their games!   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Capn Darwin

In the settings file were you set GSync to false to improve frame rates, you can also set the FOVs above 100. I have seen folks with 160 to 190. The higher ones produce a weird stretch effect in space when you pulse drive.

A 360 controller does help with most things, but I still use my mouse to mine or target evasive creatures or sentinels.

I'm having fun with it. There are some points I hope they change, add , or fix.
1. Being able to fly as low as I want and joystick support. I hate seeing floating islands or arched structures that I can fly under or through. Add impact damage if you need to.
2. Reduce the amount of space turds near planets. So many asteroids everywhere. I was really hoping for more of system model with planets, moons, and belts of asteroids to farm. Maybe a ring system on some planets to mine.
3. Plants and animals do appear to be somewhat repetitive on the few worlds I have been on. Same with farmed elements. More variation would be welcome. I know there are other oddities out there and maybe variations in system are low.
4. Access to my ship inventory when selling goods to other ship commanders at bases. I can select it at station terminals.
5. The ability to salvage crashed ships for elements and equipment.

Still a lot of fun.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Capn Darwin on August 14, 2016, 10:25:12 AM
1. Being able to fly as low as I want and joystick support. I hate seeing floating islands or arched structures that I can fly under or through. Add impact damage if you need to.

Low level flight needs improvement. Feels like the developers want people to walk everywhere, and aircraft are only used to jump between planets.

Jarhead0331

I'd like to see more vehicles for ground transportation. How about deployable bikes, jeeps, trucks, rovers, etc.? Surprised they didn't implement this.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for all the thoughts guys.....sounds like it turned out pretty good.  However, I am likely not into these types of games enough to get my own personal value at $60, but certainly will be looking at this during future sales and such.

ArizonaTank

I'm about two hours in...  only one CTD...  Generally having fun with it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

glen55

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2016, 10:47:44 AM
I'd like to see more vehicles for ground transportation. How about deployable bikes, jeeps, trucks, rovers, etc.? Surprised they didn't implement this.

DLC, maybe? Yes, it would be a huge plus. Also, how about a little mapping? Mapping planets? Mapping solar systems? It's all but impossible to find a place you've been before, plus it's a great record of your accomplishments.  And probes, or sensors, so that you have some clue about a planet before deciding to visit?

I think you could make a pretty long list of missing gameplay/UI elements. Like these guys have more of a background in programming than in gaming.

I complained yesterday about the inability to turn off ambient spaceship noise - and THEN I got my first spaceship "upgrade." The new one repeatedly makes a noise that, I swear, sounds like puking with a metallic echo/subharmonics. It cycles it like every 2 seconds, and it's loud as hell.  I had to just turn the sound off.  Flight is greatly improved, I get the serene experience I want.  Except I need sound on planets to know when sentinels are around. So I will be going into options and reconfiguring sound every time I enter and exit my spacecraft. Quite a hassle, and did these guys REALLY not realize that people wouldn't want to listen to a loud metallic puke for hours on end?  I mean, what the hell were they thinking?

/rant

Still liking the game, though. . . .   ::)
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Staggerwing

Just got the game up and running with this fix: http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/1/360672304897920381/

Woohoo!

Now, if only I can get my kids to turn in early so I cam play...  O0
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

sandman2575

Not to sully this thread with talk of 'that other game' -- but Jarhead's comparison of strengths / weaknesses of NMS vs. ED got me thinking. Drop $60 on NMS, or pick up Horizons for $30?  Decided on Horizons.

Getting back to ED after not having played it for months, and now with the ability to land on (some) planets / moons -- have to say, my sense of just how amazing ED is was once again confirmed.  It really is an awe-inspiring game, even with its well-documented flaws.

I'll probably get around to NMS eventually, but will wait for a sale at this point...

JasonPratt

Jim Sterling has some things to say about overhyped fans going waaaaaaayyyyy too far in feeling betrayed about, or in defending, NMS.

While watching that I thought -- you, Jim, as much as I like you, are one of the feeders of the immoderates who go into frothing fits about perceived injustices on the internet. You do it for humor, often for shock humor, but there are internet shrimps (as you like to vaguely iconosize sometimes) who bottom feed the scurrilous language and attitudes you throw out for amusement and profit. People act like uncultured louts partially because people like you make uncultured loutism look edgy and cool and with it (even though you're poking fun at yourself along the way).

(Btw, he thought the game was boring and medicore but not bad, and understands why it would be a soothing and meditative game for some people. He got death threats for feeling that way about the game of course. ;) )

He hints toward the end (with some of his particular self-critical humor) that the people going so far over it were hoping for, and/or still trying to get, some kind of religious experience out of it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 15, 2016, 02:07:23 PM
Not to sully this thread with talk of 'that other game' -- but Jarhead's comparison of strengths / weaknesses of NMS vs. ED got me thinking. Drop $60 on NMS, or pick up Horizons for $30?  Decided on Horizons.

Getting back to ED after not having played it for months, and now with the ability to land on (some) planets / moons -- have to say, my sense of just how amazing ED is was once again confirmed.  It really is an awe-inspiring game, even with its well-documented flaws.

I'll probably get around to NMS eventually, but will wait for a sale at this point...

I haven't played NMS so no judgement on it.  It looks interesting but not worth to me, AAA price. 

E:D with Horizons is as good as it's ever been right now.  While Engineers are a bit grindy, they ad a lot of flavor to the game and give more context to a lot of the activities that were mundane. 

Also, Mobius PvE Group is everything I hoped Open would be.  Getting in there and actually winging up and interacting with players has been a blast after hiding from the griefers in Solo for so long.   Heck, I even had my SRV get hopelessly stuck on some barren rock and a random guy come by and help get me free, never saw that in Open. 

So yeah, I don't think you can go wrong with Horizons.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback