No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghostryder

Most of the negative reviews I browsed were performance based or crashes based. The funniest i saw--- No Man's Sky-No Man's PC can handle it.  :2funny:

MikeGER

i have 63 min  into the game before i had to stop for RL interaction
was able to claim the pre order bonus ship,  repaired it, died once - had 4 drones accumulated real fast , and made a short stint into space, before i landed again so save and will soon explore the first planet some more...   

in honor of the community around here i (re)named my starting solar system Grogheads Divine I  ;) 

my issue is: i cant find the damn "leave/end game" button in any menue. so i let it save, tabbed out, and closed the window in the taskbar ...and hope the savepoint worked

IronX

^ You need to hit Esc first. Then there is an option under OPTIONS to exit the game - but I don't think it automatically saves on exit so you need to make sure you saved already.

MetalDog

Quote from: WYBaugh on August 12, 2016, 02:22:17 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 11, 2016, 08:52:17 PM

Too funny, I'm sitting here at work listening to Book 1.  You are da man MetalDog!!

Thank you, sir!  It's really panzerde's fault for mentioning Cygnus ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

I looked at those "most helpful" reviews and they are pretty damned funny. I'd be pretty pissed spending that kind of cash on a game, if my PCs specs could handle it, only to have it not work correctly. I commend their humor.

QuoteYou're severly wrong about the minimum system requirements, replace them with this-

Mimimun-
A computer made by jesus christ himself but it'll still struggle to hit 20 fps

;D

Tpek

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 12, 2016, 06:47:16 PM
I looked at those "most helpful" reviews and they are pretty damned funny. I'd be pretty pissed spending that kind of cash on a game, if my PCs specs could handle it, only to have it not work correctly. I commend their humor.

QuoteYou're severly wrong about the minimum system requirements, replace them with this-

Mimimun-
A computer made by jesus christ himself but it'll still struggle to hit 20 fps

;D

Game runs perfectly well on my not-so-new system.

Staggerwing

I'll D/L it onto my window box tonight (no OS X :() and fire it up in the AM. hopefully I'll have a positive experience.

Mike, what do you need to do to get the preorder ship onto your account?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Apocalypse 31

i ended up not pre-ordering. anyone having issues with the game? the steam forums and sub-reddit are on fire with outrage.

BanzaiCat

Last I saw it had 49% positive reviews on Steam. The positive reviews are pretty much "nope, no lag here."

Toonces

Saw JH pop up playing it on Steam while I was getting savaged in CK2.  Hopefully we'll soon get the no-holds-barred report.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Like Mike, I have just over an hour so far. It was a killer day and I'm exhausted.

First and most importantly, I'm not having any lag, no CTDs and no obvious technical issues. So, I don't know if the server population has settled down/stabilized, or they released some hotfix patch before I even got home and installed. The point is, it runs fine on my rig with good fps.

In the hour I played, I seem to have accomplished almost exactly what Mike did. I repaired my ship, took off into space, flew around a bit and landed at a space station. To get there, I used my boosters and something called a "pulse jump" which isn't quite a hyper jump, but it gets you to a far off destination in a reasonable amount of time. I interacted with one alien NPC, learned a few words of its language and got some upgraded tech.

It seems like it is going to be a good game, but am I blown away? Honestly? After Elite Dangerous and now after what I've seen in Star Citizen, no way. I am not blown away. I think ultimately, ED and SC will be vastly superior games. This could be a subjective opinion, but I'm inclined to believe it will be the majority opinion. When I first bought the ED alpha build, I was captivated. I was literally blown away and my mouth was agape. I don't recall ever having such a visceral reaction to a game based on the visual/audio experience before or since (except maybe the first time I watched the intro video to Homeworld). I have had some of those moments in SC, as well. Although I've only been on one planet in NMS, I did not get the same sensation of awe and wonderment. 

Its still very early on and I believe my enjoyment will continue to increase as I become more familiar with the UI, make new discoveries and upgrade my gear and ship. Still, with all the hype being what it was and 5 years of mystique and suspense built up, the game, as I suspected it would, is definitely falling short of expectation. That doesn't mean its not good, or not worth a buy. I love these space exploration games, so for me NMS is a no brainer, but if you're strapped for cash, not a devoted fan of the genre, or just have too much on your gaming plate, I wouldn't think you're a fool for holding off.

I'll continue to post impressions as I play more.   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

panzerde

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 12, 2016, 09:41:39 PM
I love these space exploration games, so for me NMS is a no brainer, but if you're strapped for cash, not a devoted fan of the genre, or just have too much on your gaming plate, I wouldn't think you're a fool for holding off.

That's kind of where I was before the launch after watching some game videos; good to hear it validated. I am sure I will buy this - just not for awhile. I can see myself spending an hour or two here and there exploring when I don't have the energy or interest to play something more mentally engaging, but I doubt I'd ever sit down and play eight hours at a stretch like I tend to do in Skyrim or Fallout or Witcher 3. Not because it isn't a good game, it just isn't my primary thing. I mean, despite how cool it looks and having bought it in beta, I've logged less than an hour in Elite Dangerous.

Glad to hear you aren't getting hit with the performance issues being reported. That tends to make me think those are more launch day blues due to server congestion than anything else.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 12, 2016, 09:41:39 PM
Like Mike, I have just over an hour so far. It was a killer day and I'm exhausted.

First and most importantly, I'm not having any lag, no CTDs and no obvious technical issues. So, I don't know if the server population has settled down/stabilized, or they released some hotfix patch before I even got home and installed. The point is, it runs fine on my rig with good fps.

In the hour I played, I seem to have accomplished almost exactly what Mike did. I repaired my ship, took off into space, flew around a bit and landed at a space station. To get there, I used my boosters and something called a "pulse jump" which isn't quite a hyper jump, but it gets you to a far off destination in a reasonable amount of time. I interacted with one alien NPC, learned a few words of its language and got some upgraded tech.

It seems like it is going to be a good game, but am I blown away? Honestly? After Elite Dangerous and now after what I've seen in Star Citizen, no way. I am not blown away. I think ultimately, ED and SC will be vastly superior games. This could be a subjective opinion, but I'm inclined to believe it will be the majority opinion. When I first bought the ED alpha build, I was captivated. I was literally blown away and my mouth was agape. I don't recall ever having such a visceral reaction to a game based on the visual/audio experience before or since (except maybe the first time I watched the intro video to Homeworld). I have had some of those moments in SC, as well. Although I've only been on one planet in NMS, I did not get the same sensation of awe and wonderment. 

Its still very early on and I believe my enjoyment will continue to increase as I become more familiar with the UI, make new discoveries and upgrade my gear and ship. Still, with all the hype being what it was and 5 years of mystique and suspense built up, the game, as I suspected it would, is definitely falling short of expectation. That doesn't mean its not good, or not worth a buy. I love these space exploration games, so for me NMS is a no brainer, but if you're strapped for cash, not a devoted fan of the genre, or just have too much on your gaming plate, I wouldn't think you're a fool for holding off.

I'll continue to post impressions as I play more.

Informative write-up, JH -- thanks.  I'm still on the fence myself -- and comparison you make with ED is very interesting. I'm also completely blown away by ED from the standpoint of graphics and atmosphere.  It really does have that wow factor. First time you dock in a Coriolis station, yeah, tough to top that. Out of curiosity just checked my Steam stats: 61 hours, but last played in November, which kind of sums up where I am with ED -- enormously impressed by it as a technical achievement, but also can't help but feel that the game is a little lifeless and repetitive.

Sounds like some of the performance issues have been cleared up, which is great news.

Also, 17,000+ Steam reviews for NMS, only 12 hours after launch. Wow.

MikeGER

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 12, 2016, 07:12:38 PM

Mike, what do you need to do to get the preorder ship onto your account?

hit ESC , in the menu there is one tab where a page which has a "Claim bonus content"-button/line get displayed
( i guess a stable connection to their server network has to be there, so longer pressing the button or revisiting the page may be necessary)