No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

This game looks spectacular...almost like it could be the last game I ever play.  Yeah, right. Who am I fooling?  :crazy2:

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Capn Darwin

It's the Galaxy phase of Spore done right, perhaps. Only sad part I see are no editors to make creatures, plants, ships etc. When have been ultra cool if there was crowd sourced items in the game. I'll still get it just for the Spore like adventure.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

undercovergeek

RooksBailey

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 17, 2015, 11:46:53 AM
<<puts down elite joystick>>

Not just yet.   ;)

I am remaining cautious with this game.  On one hand, the fact that Sony itself came in and scooped up this title shortly after it was announced suggests to me that they saw something more than smoke and mirrors here.  On the other hand, we have seen so many of these ambitious space games come limping into the barn upon release that I am not holding my breath that this is going to be the be all and end all of all space games, especially seeing the state of the industry these past few years. 

Keeping an eye on this but something tells me that Elite will not be blown out of the water so easily. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

undercovergeek

It's never been about the billions of planets for me, I just don't understand why

But the battle with all manner of ships capital and small, and the planetary landings with the hues and tones and a nod to trading and exploration - it could be the one

RooksBailey

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 17, 2015, 01:24:30 PM
But the battle with all manner of ships capital and small, and the planetary landings with the hues and tones and a nod to trading and exploration - it could be the one

Oh, I completely agree.  I am hoping like heck this turns out to be as good as it looks.    But the thing that concerns me is that we really haven't seen any actual gameplay yet.  The fleet battle in the game looks interesting, but what is the context?  What triggers a battle?  Is it just random?  Or is it driven by X-series-like AI politics and trade wars?  Or can the player trigger such a fleet battle?  Can he control it? And while the planet exploration and animals looks interesting, that is going to get stale after the first few dozen times if there isn't a greater gameplay element to it.  Will we be able to found colonies?  Or trading stations?  Will there be ground-based quests?  Without any of that, it is just a pretty sideshow.  I also want to learn more about our ships.  Will there be more than one type (i.e., explorers, fighters, cargo haulers)?  What type of upgrades will we have? 

Despite all these pretty tech demos, I still have no idea about the actual gameplay.  My hope is that this game will have the guts of an X-game with all the empire building and missions that implies.  If it does then, yes, this could be the king of space games.  A Minecraft in an infinite galaxy, so to speak.  But if it doesn't....
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

bob48

Is Star Citizen going to be a strong Elite contender? From what I've seen so far, it looks stunning.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

I can't say I was a huge fan of the graphics, but the gameplay as described intrigued me.

Eyes are being kept open. Thanks for the heads up.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 17, 2015, 02:00:07 PM
I can't say I was a huge fan of the graphics, but the gameplay as described intrigued me.

so youre buying it then  :P

RooksBailey

Quote from: bob48 on June 17, 2015, 01:51:52 PM
Is Star Citizen going to be a strong Elite contender? From what I've seen so far, it looks stunning.

Also a good question.  The game looks stunning but, again, we have seen very little of the sandbox space sim that most spacers are really interested in playing.  People are reading a lot into the huge funding the game has received, but funding is rarely an indication of quality - if it was, America would have the most perfect government in the world.   :)   So, again, color me cautious.  And I have to confess that the fact that the devs are already selling spacecraft at ridiculous MechWarrior Online founder price levels is already leaving a bad taste in my mouth.  With the funding they have received the game should be all inclusive for evermore. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RooksBailey on June 17, 2015, 02:09:22 PM
Quote from: bob48 on June 17, 2015, 01:51:52 PM

Also a good question.  The game looks stunning but, again, we have seen very little of the sandbox space sim that most spacers are really interested in playing.  People are reading a lot into the huge funding the game has received, but funding is rarely an indication of quality - if it was, America would have the most perfect government in the world.   :)   So, again, color me cautious.  And I have to confess that the fact that the devs are already selling spacecraft at ridiculous MechWarrior Online founder price levels is already leaving a bad taste in my mouth.  With the funding they have received the game should be all inclusive for evermore.

Star Citizen is starting to come together. I'm confident it will be a contender.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 17, 2015, 02:07:34 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 17, 2015, 02:00:07 PM

so youre buying it then  :P
I guess so  :(
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

I am still very cautious about NMS.
It just seems like an awful lot to promise and I am a little afraid the procedural generation of so many things will make the game very generic.
I am afraid it will be more a techdemo than a fun game once the new shiny fades and the umpteenth system is yet another generic system with weird variants of stuff you saw the last 10 hours of gameplay.
Much like Elite needed a backstory and some 'identity for its inhabitants' I still am afraid NMS won't have this soul either when it launches.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grimnirsson

The only thing they showed us so far is that this game is big. No real story, no encounters/interactions with other players, all planets seem to look like a colorful earth, just collecting stuff and uploading data etc. in such a big universe can easily bring pure boredom on your screen. I'm also rather cautious to jump on the hype train regarding this game...
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Philippe

The one thing I didn't understand from the fragments that I've read and heard is what happens if you revisit someplace you've already been.

In other words, I visit a specific spot on a planet and then leave.  If I return to the planet and visit the exact same spot again will I see the same terrain?

I wonder this because my understanding was that the game doesn't store anything and uses algorithims to generate terrain whenever you go somewhere.

A variation on this is that if player A visits a certain spot on a planet and sees a particular terrain feature (e.g. a green obelisk), if player B visits that same spot after player A leaves, can player B find a green obelisk as well ?

Not much point in discovering something if your discoveries aren't repeatable or verifiable.  I really hope there's a persistant terrain mechanism attached to the generating algorithim.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.