Historicon

Started by besilarius, April 08, 2016, 06:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

http://hmgs.site-ym.com/?page=HconHome

July.  Anyone else going?  We should have a Groggie bust up.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bayonetbrant

can't this year - would love to, tho.  Maybe next year (my permanent mantra!)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Some of the guys I game with usually go. I might make the trip with them this year.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

I bought tickets for it the past two years and have yet to actually go.  :idiot2:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MetalDog

Quote from: mirth on April 08, 2016, 08:22:25 AM
Some of the guys I game with usually go. I might make the trip with them this year.

So you'll go to Virgina, but not Ohio?  WTF?!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

Quote from: MetalDog on April 08, 2016, 05:17:04 PM

Origins is too close to Huzzah! for me to do both easily. If I go to Origins next year, it will take a lot of upfront planning. There was just too much going on this year for me to fit in another trip in the span of a couple months.

It's a big question mark for Historicon. I'm not even sure if any of the other guys are going this year.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

MetalDog

Quote from: mirth on April 10, 2016, 03:31:31 PM

Origins is too close to Huzzah! for me to do both easily. If I go to Origins next year, it will take a lot of upfront planning. There was just too much going on this year for me to fit in another trip in the span of a couple months.

It's a big question mark for Historicon. I'm not even sure if any of the other guys are going this year.

I appreciate your predicament.  But, how are you supposed to meet any of us if you stay for Huzzah?  The place to be is Ohio, not Maine :P
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

Quote from: MetalDog on April 10, 2016, 07:14:35 PM
Quote from: mirth on April 10, 2016, 03:31:31 PM

I appreciate your predicament.  But, how are you supposed to meet any of us if you stay for Huzzah?  The place to be is Ohio, not Maine :P

I love you guys, but I also love my local con. And it's a little hard to think that Ohio is 'the place to be'.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on April 10, 2016, 07:30:43 PMAnd it's a little hard to think that Ohio is 'the place to be'.

I lived there for 4 years and I can tell you it's not the place to be, except during Origins, and then it's the only place to be :D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 10, 2016, 08:44:02 PM
Quote from: mirth on April 10, 2016, 07:30:43 PMAnd it's a little hard to think that Ohio is 'the place to be'.

I lived there for 4 years and I can tell you it's not the place to be, except during Origins, and then it's the only place to be :D

The past couple years at Huzzah there's been a growing trend of attendees bringing their families along. The con is held at a rather nice hotel that is convenienlty located for any number of 'touristy" things. The weather in Mid-May is usually pleasant enough for outdoor activities and getting around in general. It's been interesting to see how folks use the con as the basis for a family getaway.

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote"It promotes social skills"

No, no it really doesn't :P

bbmike

So, I got my final warning email for Historicon. Anyone going?
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

besilarius

Yep.  Don't know if I can show up before Saturday, but will be there.

"With your eyes closed?"