Windows 10 update porked my laptop.

Started by JudgeDredd, January 10, 2018, 02:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

The latest Windows 10 update has absolutely porked my laptop!! It isn't just me either - it's broken several PC's at work that have needed extra, super-special attention to get working.

It's been downloading, validating, updating, failing, restoring, failing for about a week now. Constant blue screens on reboots - pretty much just cycle rebooting until, eventually, something kicks in and it gets there - and then starts the process all over again.

I don't know what they released, but it's a bag of utter shite.

I'm taking it into work tomorrow to get rebuilt. I just wanted to forewarn people. I'm sure not everyone is having the issue - some PCs at work were absolutely fine (most) - but there's definite conflicts with something. One of the failed PCs at work that I know about was the hard drive drivers and a laptop had issues with some other drivers (graphics?).

So - just be careful.
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bbmike on January 10, 2018, 02:12:17 PM
KB4056892 bugs: Install fails, browser crashes, PC freezes, and more
Thank you. I have searched high and low for various combinations of "Windows update won't install" and others and didn't return anything recent that met what was going on. I don't know how you found this, but thanks...I'll give it a try before I go for a rebuild.
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Greybriar

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 10, 2018, 02:05:35 PM
The latest Windows 10 update has absolutely porked my laptop!! It isn't just me either - it's broken several PC's at work that have needed extra, super-special attention to get working.

It's been downloading, validating, updating, failing, restoring, failing for about a week now. Constant blue screens on reboots - pretty much just cycle rebooting until, eventually, something kicks in and it gets there - and then starts the process all over again.

I don't know what they released, but it's a bag of utter shite.

I'm taking it into work tomorrow to get rebuilt. I just wanted to forewarn people. I'm sure not everyone is having the issue - some PCs at work were absolutely fine (most) - but there's definite conflicts with something. One of the failed PCs at work that I know about was the hard drive drivers and a laptop had issues with some other drivers (graphics?).

So - just be careful.

I had a similar experience on my desktop PC and it really p*ssed me off. >:( I thought about using system restore but I decided Microsoft would eventually patch it enough that it would be back to normal. I am not sure if I did the right thing, but my computer is nearly back to being its old self.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

airboy

The update both of you mention hosed one or two of my games.  After a couple of weeks it worked itself out or I discovered work-arounds.

Still, I mourn that both of you had so much difficulty.

Wes

I'm so glad I held out till I got moved and am now converting over to Linux on all my internet computers.

After reading the latest news about 10s being what M$ wants on all future devices I am extra thankful for Linux. Linux doesn't work with some of my peripherals but from Win7 on nothing works so I'm not missing much. Just glad I kept a stack of XP machines for use with my older gear. I'm to damn old to be starting over buying all this crap again.
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert