Gaming with Kids

Started by Bison, November 06, 2016, 11:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on February 06, 2017, 01:14:07 PM
Card sleeves man!  Card sleeves!

Even penny sleeves extend their lives at an easier cost.

I kinda prefer them just because they're thinner.  So the larger decks don't stand a couple stories tall.

JasonPratt

There are only 16 cards to Love Letter so thick sleeves would be no problem.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Ubercat

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 06, 2017, 01:44:07 PM
I would love to get them into Dominions, but they need a bit more seasoning I think. Also I have to keep a weather-eye on their Mom (and on Bro by extension though he's more permissive -- but I don't want him to get into trouble with the wife. She's antsy even about them watching Disney's Zorro.  :o ) Still it's hard to bet on what she will and won't like. I was astonished that she's more than okay with Five Rings Love Letter.

She sounds like a character. Reminds me of a couple of guys I've dubbed The Candyland Twins. They came to a few game nights of our small gaming group a few years back and would veto any game that had the vaguest hints of any kind of violence. Only Euros were acceptable and even then, if any kind of physical conflict were even implied by the abstract game mechanics, they held out for something different.

I finally got mad at their utterly moronic, ivory tower, reality obliviousness and said something about it. I don't recall what I said but it wasn't too obnoxious. To my great relief, they never came back. They probably thought that my annoyance meant that I was going to beat them to a pulp and then cut them into tiny pieces, being the psychotic, violent monster that I am and all.  ::)
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Bison

I never really understood the no conflict mentality.  Sure Ticket to Ride for example doesn't have "conflict," but it sure as the hell can be very cut throat.  Passive-aggressive conflict at its finest.

bayonetbrant

Sleeping Queens with Bayonette

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Hey!  We have that same carpet.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Emeraldlis

That's adorable Brant , wish my daughter was that age again , it's a magical time :) is bayonette counting how many times she's won you  ;)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

bayonetbrant

No. That game lets you discard based on equations. She's doing the math

Emeraldlis

Cool  8) sounds like a great game for getting kids interested in arithmetic  O0
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Bison

Hive is awesome not only kid friendly but fun for adults too.  The chesslike quality of play is a very enjoyable strategy game.

Nefaro

Played Tales of the Arabian Nights with a 9-year old nephew this weekend.

While I was being cut up by crazy sailors, and getting turned into an Ape and driven insane by a variety of wicked enchantresses, he was on the golden path nearly the whole time.  Becoming a warlord for a city of Mermen and gaining all manner of blessings and wealth before cruising to a win over me.  Despite being enslaved by an Efreeteh the turn before his win.  :)) 

Think he enjoyed the storytelling stuff in it.  Picked it up no problem as long as I was reading the storyteller entries for both of us. 

I also have Agents Of Smersh, which has a similar storytelling system but is set in a James Bond type of 1970s spy action Co-op game.  May try that one in the not too distant future, even though it has more mechanics to learn.  Surprisingly good at learning game mechanics after being told how they work; he catches me messing up regularly.

Arctic Blast

Castle Panic is an excellent co-op, though the add-ons definitely add quite a bit of crunch to it. I wouldn't go beyond the first expansion (Wizard's Tower) when playing with small kids.

bayonetbrant

hey Bison!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/admagic/rise-of-tribes/?ref=grogheads

They might be a little young for it right now, but looks like a cool one they could grow into.
I'm backing it  8)  :bd:

Bison

^ The game looks pretty sweet.  I'm not sure I'll back it, but I will keep an eye on it after it releases.

We recently have played Clank! which is a great deck builder dungeon delve race sort of game and Santorini an awesome two player abstract game.