Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!

Started by CJReich46, July 10, 2019, 11:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

Quote from: bbmike on July 18, 2019, 07:30:26 AM
It is early access so there is no campaign, no multiplayer, and no modding support (all three will be added). Right now there is only a mini-campaign where you must defeat three bosses on a Gloomhaven style map. It does seem to have road encounters, no sure about city encounters yet. It follows the rules of the board game closely as far as I can tell. In fact, this might be a good way to learn the board game for those interested in that. My only complaint is the UI and that's only because I've played the board game so much. Right now it is difficult for me to tell what I can do/have done (when you play the board game you can see everything). Not so with the digital version so far but I suspect that will be fixed. People are already pointing it out in the Steam forums. All said, I did have fun with the first scenario.  :)

Go find the sticker set for Gloomhaven, costs around $10. Very cool to put the achievements on the board, and they have a massive listing of all scenario numbers, with two check boxes each. We mark off the first one when that scenario is unlocked, and the second when complete. Twice now we have taken a fork, which shut off a scenario completely. No spoilers...

Bardolph

I like it so far. Only played a little under two hours. Took me three tries to get through the first encounter. First two times I ran out of cards. Then I remembered from reading  the rules a while back that some cards go away when you use them and made a point to be careful with those cards and finally won.

Definitely a lot missing from the boardgame, but as much as I hate to say it is is clearly Early Access and they got my money when they stated multiplayer was IN, and that the boardgame campaign was also in the works for the finished product. Now I don't have to open my copy of Gloomhaven anytime soon lol.

A lot of the negative reviews are predictable. People who can't read/don't understand:
A: Early Access
B: There is no tutorial yet due to A
C: That it is a digital version of a boardgame
D: That the rest will come later.

I saw several comments from people complaining about "bugs" when it was pretty clear from what they were describing they simply hadn't figured out the interface.
I'm sure there are bugs, but so far I haven't run into anything memorable.
My major gripe at this point is the item durability thing, a mechanic I hate in pretty much any game and sadly they currently have it here. It's not in the boardgame and I hope they rethink it. There are a number of folks talking about it on Steam.

If ya have any interest in the boardgame it is probably worth a try.

mbar

Thanks for the write up. I've watched a few letsplays and like what I see. Never heard of it until this post. It's in my cart! Bought!

DennisS

Quote from: mbar on July 21, 2019, 08:27:21 AM
Thanks for the write up. I've watched a few letsplays and like what I see. Never heard of it until this post. It's in my cart! Bought!

I am THIS close to purchasing it..but i want Voxel Tycoon too, and only have the money for one. Review please!!!

Bardolph

So after playing right up to my two hour mark, I took a break and watched some videos and read some reviews and ended up refunding.
There is potential, but it isn't there yet and I wrote my initial post under the happy glow of just having beaten the first encounter.

This guy does a good job of breaking things down, and includes some concerns I have, and a lot more stuff he found that I hadn't run into or even thought of yet.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/780290/discussions/0/1643169632562200374/

Back on the sidelines and will keep an eye on it and see how it progresses.