Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

So I haven't played in almost a year, but check in every couple months just to see what is going on because the BFC marketing machine is non-existent. 

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/126388-the-patch/?page=9

Looks like the natives are getting restless and the beta testers are circling the wagons for a last-man standing defense.  I am still not sure what to make of it.  Almost a year and a half after a patch created a couple issues, almost no official word from BFC on how they are handling it.

There is a rumor now that some on-again, off-again deal with the NZ MoD is holding everything up, along with departures of a couple employees.  But when these threads start popping up, expect Steve to pop in with some new roadmap and plan that will calm things down.  That is until someone points out how long its been since even a patch was released.

I get frustrated because I have all kinds of money to spend on anything they produce.  Yet I haven't spent anything in almost two years, because BFC does not appear to be in a hurry for my money.

edit: Found some info on the NZ deal...

https://www.cove.org.au/wargaming/article-experimenting-with-a-commercial-off-the-shelf-wargame-as-a-pme-tool/

Note the comment at the bottom.  Someone doesn't think its a good idea.

bayonetbrant

I know you're more focused on the development of the game for your personal enjoyment, but if anyone is interested in actual discussions about the professional application of these types of games for military training, we don't lack for articles or discussion threads on our site for this very topic. I dare say we are far ahead of most any other general wargaming site in terms of discussing the professional applications of wargaming.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

I so much hope the Combat Mission team get or do whatever they need to keep this series going and improve on their updates and DRM issues/marketing/on and on and on. I've loved this game from the very first demo for Beyond Overlord I downloaded way back there. The hoops and hurtles you have to jump to actually keep the game current is maddening and frustrating but nobody does tactical warfare better. BMBB Was my all time favorite.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

CMBB is one of the greatest computer wargames of all-time.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Whatever other discussions about Combat Mission you guys want to have, please do not turn this into another DRM flame War
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 27, 2018, 04:18:11 PM
Whatever other discussions about Combat Mission you guys want to have, please do not turn this into another DRM flame War

Well, you are the one to bring it up.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Jarhead0331

I really hope they update Shock Force before they go under.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

RyanE

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 27, 2018, 04:58:42 PM

Right on, brother!

Rayfer

Quote from: RyanE on May 27, 2018, 05:11:51 PM

Right on, brother!

My dream scenario would be they put the entire Combat Mission library on Steam with Steam's auto patch/update features and sales during the holidays.  I know, ain't going to happen.  :'(

sandman2575

"Before they go under" -- that to me really seems to be the crux of the matter. The situation at BFC has felt moribund for a while now... like it's only a matter of time before they fold up the tent and call it a day. Arguments about DRM seem beside the point. The last announcement on the main BFC webpage about anything related to CMx2 is from April 2017. All is not well over there.

Sir Slash

Yes, no point bitching about the DRM stuff. Everybody knows about it by now. CMBO Is available from GOG, maybe the rest of them will end up there eventually.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 27, 2018, 10:34:01 PM
Yes, no point bitching about the DRM stuff.

you must be new to DRM threads

Skoop

Battlefront never figured out that they could put their games on steam and have occasional 50% off sales and everyone in the whole world would probably own a copy...They could never see past their own noses when it came to marketing or strategy.  What's better, 10,000 owning a copy at 50.00 or 500,000 owning a copy at 20.00 ?  The world has left battlefront behind unfortunately.  I do like the idea of the catalog available on gog though.

MikeGER

Quote from: Rayfer on May 27, 2018, 07:22:20 PM

My dream scenario would be they put the entire Combat Mission library on Steam with Steam's auto patch/update features and sales during the holidays.  I know, ain't going to happen.  :'(

This! O0   and existing customers get a Steam code like Matrix does.

+1:dreamer:

fabius

Not sure if serious but reminded me of an impression I had about.

The whole no Steam thing made me wonder if they are the sort that want keep most of what they make to the point of preferring 80 % of $1 million over 40 % of $5 million.