Polaris Sector - another new space 4x

Started by RedArgo, November 02, 2015, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJReich46

OJ's Dad.

Tip: Upgrade

Click on the planet that you want to build your upgrade

You should see a ship silhouette except it is double lined.  (( like that. Click on that that gives you your upgrade.

What I do usually is have a Mark II or a New name ship class to build. Then I click on the upgrade.

(I hope that's what you were asking)  ???

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Yskonyn

Damn, you guys make me wish I had more time on my hands! Still havent been able to sit down with the game.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Barthheart

Zonso

Hmm yes, just downloaded the beta patch and will have to find time to dive in again. Did not read the patch notes but previous saves are no longer available? Oh well...

Re invasions - I have only played Humans, and kept the Espionage bonus, so I found the best strategy is to prepare the ground before hand with a few experienced spy ships sabotaging the ground defenses before sending in the troops. The actual invasion force was usually 6-8 Troops Ships consisting of mostly Marines with a handful of Ground Support/Tanks and Fighters. This took minimal and acceptable losses going in. I eventually assembled a second such force to either reinforce the initial invasion or start another, finding once the 'crust' is broken it is best to attack quickly before the AI can respond. I always left a covering fleet over the invaded planet so never concerned myself with the AI reinforcing their ground troops. I imagine the planet could be bombarded first prior to invading, but read somewhere all AIs immediately protest and out you, so never tried it.

Jarhead0331

Good idea to use specops to disrupt defenses. I use orbital bombardment, but refrain from using the full load of bombs. This sometimes results in the target empire protesting, but I have not noticed other empires voicing objection.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

OJsDad

Quote from: CJReich46 on September 14, 2017, 01:56:12 PM
OJ's Dad.

Tip: Upgrade

Click on the planet that you want to build your upgrade

You should see a ship silhouette except it is double lined.  (( like that. Click on that that gives you your upgrade.

What I do usually is have a Mark II or a New name ship class to build. Then I click on the upgrade.

(I hope that's what you were asking)  ???

That helps.  Thanks.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

My biggest gripe with PS right now is the planets.  I've never been a fan of a planet only having one purpose i.e., agriculture, industrialization, research, etc.  PS penalizes you for having a balanced planet.  It's a freaking planet, it can do more than one thing well.  Yes, a planet like Mars isn't going to produce much food, but it shouldn't have an issue with mining, industry or research.  I just don't understand why an earthlike planet should be penalized for being balanced. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: OJsDad on September 14, 2017, 03:52:17 PM
My biggest gripe with PS right now is the planets.  I've never been a fan of a planet only having one purpose i.e., agriculture, industrialization, research, etc.  PS penalizes you for having a balanced planet.  It's a freaking planet, it can do more than one thing well.  Yes, a planet like Mars isn't going to produce much food, but it shouldn't have an issue with mining, industry or research.  I just don't understand why an earthlike planet should be penalized for being balanced.

Ummmm...why not micromanage and build whatever you want? The planet categories are only if you want the AI governors to focus on something in particular. Otherwise, you're free to take control and build whatever your heart desires.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

OJsDad

I thought you were penalized for building balanced planets.  I also thought that some planet types, like Ocean worlds, were best suited for food production.  Isn't there a 25% bonus for having a specialized planet?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: OJsDad on September 14, 2017, 05:02:23 PM
I thought you were penalized for building balanced planets.  I also thought that some planet types, like Ocean worlds, were best suited for food production.  Isn't there a 25% bonus for having a specialized planet?

Why is having bonuses and penalties on planets a bad thing? Yes, oceanic planets are best for research and agriculture, but nothing stops you from making them mineral or industrial worlds, but you should expect to be penalized for this. Likewise a mineral  rich acidic planet is great for harvesting minerals, but pretty crappy for growing food. Shouldn't there be a penalty if you make a volcanic world dedicated to agriculture? I honestly don't see the issue. It is as it should be.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

CJReich46

Did anyone notice that you can have outposts? I don't know if that was always in game or just now part of the beta.

I like the idea of outposts, you can grab a few small moons and use them for basing or fuel stops.

OJs Dad, as Jarhead mentioned you can micro them. I found out even if you have them on a certain economic program you can sometimes step in and micro it if you need to.

I tend to do that during shortages of mostly food, metals, organics, plutonium.

Good to know that my tip was helpful by the way. :)

This is a something that has nagged at me for a long time in 4x games, how realistic is it to retrofit every time you acquire a new tech? I know in Aurora you don't get that luxury because it is very expensive.

So what are your thoughts on upgrades? I tend to do them if there's a new weapons system, for example larger turret or armor penetrating torpedoes. Then I design a mark II version of the existing ship.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

OJsDad

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 14, 2017, 05:45:49 PM

Why is having bonuses and penalties on planets a bad thing? Yes, oceanic planets are best for research and agriculture, but nothing stops you from making them mineral or industrial worlds, but you should expect to be penalized for this. Likewise a mineral  rich acidic planet is great for harvesting minerals, but pretty crappy for growing food. Shouldn't there be a penalty if you make a volcanic world dedicated to agriculture? I honestly don't see the issue. It is as it should be.

Nothing wrong with the bonus's.  Maybe I just didn't understand the manual.  There's a part that says that building a balanced planet will give you a mediocre one.  I took that to mean that you needed to make specialized planets.  But from what you're saying, you don't need to do that.  An ocean planet, concentrate on food and research.  Earthlike's maybe more balanced, or more industrial heavy. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: OJsDad on September 14, 2017, 06:08:28 PM

Nothing wrong with the bonus's.  Maybe I just didn't understand the manual.  There's a part that says that building a balanced planet will give you a mediocre one.  I took that to mean that you needed to make specialized planets.  But from what you're saying, you don't need to do that.  An ocean planet, concentrate on food and research.  Earthlike's maybe more balanced, or more industrial heavy.

Balanced planets make only those buildings which are necessary for the world to be self-sustaining. They do not make structures to maximize output, or to fulfill a need within the empire at large. That is why balanced planets are not the most useful and should really be avoided.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

OJsDad

Quote from: CJReich46 on September 14, 2017, 05:54:38 PM
Did anyone notice that you can have outposts? I don't know if that was always in game or just now part of the beta.

I like the idea of outposts, you can grab a few small moons and use them for basing or fuel stops.

Hadn't seen that yet

OJs Dad, as Jarhead mentioned you can micro them. I found out even if you have them on a certain economic program you can sometimes step in and micro it if you need to.

I tend to do that during shortages of mostly food, metals, organics, plutonium.

I'll keep that in mind

OJsDad

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 14, 2017, 06:11:00 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on September 14, 2017, 06:08:28 PM

Balanced planets make only those buildings which are necessary for the world to be self-sustaining. They do not make structures to maximize output, or to fulfill a need within the empire at large. That is why balanced planets are not the most useful and should really be avoided.

Thanks, I'll give another try with that in mind.