Polaris Sector - another new space 4x

Started by RedArgo, November 02, 2015, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

Yeah, it's a good game.  The research system is the weakest suit that I can see, but it's all good.

MikeGER, I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure it's a terribly sound game design.  You shouldn't need to know the difference between a value-added tax and an excise tax and a sales tax and a capital gains tax and an earned income credit to be able to manage your empire's finances, and you shouldn't need to understand all the scientific terminology to manage the research tree.

It's cool to know that they're based on actual scientific concepts today.  I could go off on trying to project modern scientific beliefs on any future-state situation involving space travel, but then I was more a History of Science geek than a Science geek!   :)

The less-than-intuitive names wasn't as big a problem for me as the utter inability to evaluate meaningful trade-offs in research decisions, even after sitting down with a pad and paper and taking notes for 20+ minutes. 

That's my major challenge at this point--the research leads to better or worse ships, but it doesn't lead to terribly differentiated ship design.  At least, not that I can actively manage.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on November 25, 2016, 01:37:37 AM

That's my major challenge at this point--the research leads to better or worse ships, but it doesn't lead to terribly differentiated ship design.  At least, not that I can actively manage.

I respectfully disagree entirely with this statement,

One of the things that I love about PS is the way in which the technologies shape and unlock new ship design options and add to your tactical and strategic options. It's not just, "small laser, medium laser, big laser" like so many other 4x games. Rather, technological breakthroughs frequently lead to new weapons and modules that offer completely new options and through creativity and smart design, these techs can help solve many tactical and strategic problems.

The thought and effort put into the techs in the game keeps play fresh through the mid and long term game. While many other 4x games start to grow stale after a few hundred turns, the ability to continue unlocking useful technologies keeps PS fun and rewarding.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

PanzersEast

Just noticed I still have my customer coupon which bring it down to about $17.  I assume they still give you a Steam Key through slitherine store?  Looks like now is the time to jump in.

OJsDad

Quote from: PanzersEast on November 25, 2016, 07:54:39 AM
Just noticed I still have my customer coupon which bring it down to about $17.  I assume they still give you a Steam Key through slitherine store?  Looks like now is the time to jump in.

I didn't get a separate Steam key, I just used the key I got from Matrix on Steam and it worked. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Tuna

Quote from: PanzersEast on November 25, 2016, 07:54:39 AM

Yes Panzers, on the Slitherine site you can grab the Steam Key for it.

OJsDad

I haven't got real deep into the game yet, no combat, haven't even run into another race yet.  But a couple of thoughts.

I like the ship design and research.  Ship design isn't quite as flexible as DW, but more so than Stellaris.  I like the whole fundamental vs applied.  Going to take awhile to figure out
what the benefits are of each applied item is.

I also like some of the colonization options.  In DW or Stellaris, you have to research the ability to colonize different planet types.  In PS, you just need domes.  to get to some other planet types.  Looks like you can colonize Gas Giants also with an orbital colony.  I've always thought this was missing from DW and Stellaris.

One thing I don't like as much as DW or Stellaris is the solar systems.  After playing DW and Stellaris and having full solar systems with many planets and moons and the ability to build whatever you want where you want in the system, PS is a big let down.   
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Rayfer

Quote from: OJsDad on November 26, 2016, 02:44:57 PM
I haven't got real deep into the game yet, no combat, haven't even run into another race yet.  But a couple of thoughts.

I like the ship design and research.  Ship design isn't quite as flexible as DW, but more so than Stellaris.  I like the whole fundamental vs applied.  Going to take awhile to figure out
what the benefits are of each applied item is.

I also like some of the colonization options.  In DW or Stellaris, you have to research the ability to colonize different planet types.  In PS, you just need domes.  to get to some other planet types.  Looks like you can colonize Gas Giants also with an orbital colony.  I've always thought this was missing from DW and Stellaris.

One thing I don't like as much as DW or Stellaris is the solar systems.  After playing DW and Stellaris and having full solar systems with many planets and moons and the ability to build whatever you want where you want in the system, PS is a big let down.   

I just picked it up too. If you play the tutorial you get to fight 4 battles using a variety of ship and weapon types...it's really good.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2016, 06:58:48 AM

One of the things that I love about PS is the way in which the technologies shape and unlock new ship design options and add to your tactical and strategic options. It's not just, "small laser, medium laser, big laser" like so many other 4x games. Rather, technological breakthroughs frequently lead to new weapons and modules that offer completely new options and through creativity and smart design, these techs can help solve many tactical and strategic problems.

The thought and effort put into the techs in the game keeps play fresh through the mid and long term game. While many other 4x games start to grow stale after a few hundred turns, the ability to continue unlocking useful technologies keeps PS fun and rewarding.

Jarhead, I agree with everything you said, and you raise a meaningful distinction that probably wasn't clear in my original post.  I like the fact that tech research proceeds slowly, so the measure/countermeasure aspect of the tech race proceeds well into the game.  It was thrilling to me the first time I greeted an incoming wave of bombers with long-range MIRV warheads and just decimated them.  Over time, the technology evolves more meaningfully than in any other 4x title I've probably ever played, and that's cool.

The problem for me is that I have no idea how to differentiate my tech research beyond the first 100 years.  The techs do evolve the game play, but I haven't figured out a way to manage that evolution.  This means that, for all its complexity and elegance, I seem to receive about the same techs in about the same order most times I play. 

When I do get some techs sooner or later than I did in another game, it is seldom a result of intentional decisions on my part.  Instead, it's a side-effect of some Theoretical Science slider I adjusted or some Applied Science box I checked without understanding the designs.

This latest issue wasn't intended so much as a critique of the game, as simply asking whether others have found a way to actually manage tech research in this game beyond the first 100-150 years.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on November 26, 2016, 04:28:27 PM

Jarhead, I agree with everything you said, and you raise a meaningful distinction that probably wasn't clear in my original post.  I like the fact that tech research proceeds slowly, so the measure/countermeasure aspect of the tech race proceeds well into the game.  It was thrilling to me the first time I greeted an incoming wave of bombers with long-range MIRV warheads and just decimated them.  Over time, the technology evolves more meaningfully than in any other 4x title I've probably ever played, and that's cool.

The problem for me is that I have no idea how to differentiate my tech research beyond the first 100 years.  The techs do evolve the game play, but I haven't figured out a way to manage that evolution.  This means that, for all its complexity and elegance, I seem to receive about the same techs in about the same order most times I play. 

When I do get some techs sooner or later than I did in another game, it is seldom a result of intentional decisions on my part.  Instead, it's a side-effect of some Theoretical Science slider I adjusted or some Applied Science box I checked without understanding the designs.

This latest issue wasn't intended so much as a critique of the game, as simply asking whether others have found a way to actually manage tech research in this game beyond the first 100-150 years.

Gotcha...and I agree that it is not entirely clear how best to focus your research priorities so as to actually play a more active role in development. There is an option to prioritize specific technology, but I find it is too drastic in reducing progress in everything else. I always prefer a more balanced approach to research.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jamus34

Agreed, I'm getting back into this on a new game and the only major tech I've researched so far is heavy lasers.

I've designed and built the following: Updated colonizer to carry more people (3k opposed to 1k), a refueling frigate, a population transport and a battle satellite. I've also built carriers and fighters.
Insert witty comment here.

OJsDad

I have 2 ocean planets.  According to the manual, these are great for producing food and organics.  I've set both planets to agriculture, but they're not doing anything.  I've manually built some floating platforms so they can support more people.  But I don't see an option to build farms.  What am I missing?

Trooperc7

Quote from: OJsDad on November 29, 2016, 10:15:35 AM
I have 2 ocean planets.  According to the manual, these are great for producing food and organics.  I've set both planets to agriculture, but they're not doing anything.  I've manually built some floating platforms so they can support more people.  But I don't see an option to build farms.  What am I missing?

oceanic planets only produce farms/food when you have researched marine farms....until then no farms or food. However once you have marine farms, they will produce all you need!

OJsDad

OJsDad

So, it looks like in the early part of the game, a lot of planets, dwarfs for example, are useless to colonize unless they have something to mine.  From the ones I've colonized, they are so small that you can only build a couple of factories.  In fact, it looks like they are locked and you cannot build anything but production facilities.  The only they seem to do are for fueling points to extend the range of your ships. 

Perhaps later with more advanced tech they'll be worth more?

Trooperc7

You are correct.. they dont mine much because they cant support much.... however once you research some deep core mines which make the output a bit better, they are never going too be big producers... however if you need a colony to extend your range then you get a small twofer...