Polaris Sector - another new space 4x

Started by RedArgo, November 02, 2015, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobarossa

Even though the game spans hundreds of years, the odds of a star going Nova during that time would be astronomical.  :)

vyshka

Quote from: jomni on April 18, 2016, 01:44:28 AM
Is there any feature where you kill a planet by completely using up its resources? Or old stars blowing up in a supernova, destroying the solar system.

Out of curiosity, is there any game that models this?

I believe Master of Orion (both older version(s) and the latest) have the possibility of a star blowing up.

jamus34

Quote from: vyshka on April 18, 2016, 11:48:54 AM
Is there any feature where you kill a planet by completely using up its resources? Or old stars blowing up in a supernova, destroying the solar system.

I believe Master of Orion (both older version(s) and the latest) have the possibility of a star blowing up.
1st MOO I don't think so. 2Nd one I think you needed to research the stellar converter to blow up planets.
Insert witty comment here.

vyshka

Quote from: jamus34 on April 18, 2016, 12:05:58 PM

1st MOO I don't think so. 2Nd one I think you needed to research the stellar converter to blow up planets.

I was thinking of the event where a star can go unstable. You are able to stop it with enough research/production(?), but it is possible for the star to blow up.

jamus34

Quote from: vyshka on April 18, 2016, 12:10:37 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on April 18, 2016, 12:05:58 PM

I was thinking of the event where a star can go unstable. You are able to stop it with enough research/production(?), but it is possible for the star to blow up.

You are correct sir.

FarAway Sooner

The production points going towards building a really large firehose, as I recall...

:)

Dread Rlyeh

Has anyone witnessed the military training center increasing crew xp?  I've built ships at a planet with one and I've left ships in orbit around a planet with one for many years.  No change. 

Barthheart

I thought that only trained ground troops.... I haven't built any yet though.....

Dread Rlyeh

The description reads "gives experience to spaceships crew" - I cranked up the speed and parked a few ships in orbit to test again, and no change in crew xp.  Nothing for my ground units on the planet either.

Barthheart

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Barthheart on April 20, 2016, 10:13:11 AM
Ha! Shows what I know.  :P
No worries, and it was worth checking to see if it had an effect on ground troops (description could have been wrong).  Still some bugs (to be expected of course) - others are apparently seeing the same issue according to Slitherine forum thread below. 

http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=404&t=71778

jamus34

So I'm either not good at this game (surprise surprise) or just having the worst luck. 2nd game I thought I was doing good, got into a war with another race (lizard looking guys) so I start building some carrier's and  corvette's. Hold off the initial push. Well I do not know how but he managed to create transport ships that could go pretty deep into my territory. Where my transport tips out at around 10k.
For early game defense what it better, building a defense force or a battle satellite?

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: jamus34 on April 23, 2016, 07:08:53 AM
So I'm either not good at this game (surprise surprise) or just having the worst luck. 2nd game I thought I was doing good, got into a war with another race (lizard looking guys) so I start building some carrier's and  corvette's. Hold off the initial push. Well I do not know how but he managed to create transport ships that could go pretty deep into my territory. Where my transport tips out at around 10k.
For early game defense what it better, building a defense force or a battle satellite?
They haven't faced a trial by fire yet, but early on, I've been using battle sats at key choke points.  The advantages I see are you don't have to waste resources on drives or worry about weight effecting speed, and thus you save on resources and can use your heaviest armor.

I've also stacked them with munitions modules (again no problems with space or weight) so they can spam torps and missiles over a long fight.  Some point defense, some heavy and triple ion, I think it will be a good mix.   Your production worlds can crank them out pretty quickly for freighter transport to key stars - they do take a bit of time to unpack and assemble though.   

Ian C

Might be worth pointing out that you can also design system-only defence ships. 1 fuel tank is all you need, because you don't need range in a home system and then load it up with as much weapons/power as possible. It's always part of my strategy to have system Cruisers/ Battleships as home defence. Early/obsolete craft are good for this and make a good line of defence.

bobarossa

Quote from: jamus34 on April 23, 2016, 07:08:53 AM
Well I do not know how but he managed to create transport ships that could go pretty deep into my territory. Where my transport tips out at around 10k.
Someone on the Slitherine forums brought this up.  The reply was that the AI doesn't have to worry about fuel range because it can't figure out how to stop running out of fuel (my interpretation).