Polaris Sector - another new space 4x

Started by RedArgo, November 02, 2015, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanaka

Delete

FarAway Sooner

So does this game reward the Colony Rush approach, the same way that most other 4X games do? 

One of the things I really liked about DW is that, not only is colonizing planets too expensive, but if you colonize too quickly, the pirates will absolutely eat your lunch!

jamus34

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on April 08, 2016, 11:45:22 PM
So does this game reward the Colony Rush approach, the same way that most other 4X games do? 

One of the things I really liked about DW is that, not only is colonizing planets too expensive, but if you colonize too quickly, the pirates will absolutely eat your lunch!
I'm sure there's others here who have a lot more exp than I do but my take on this is yes for the short game but not necessarily for long term. If you do not set up your planets to build with total Empire food needs in mind you will get burnt.
That said I think it's 100's of times cheaper and easier to colonize a planet rather than try to conquer it.
My solution with my second game was to rush build a carrier and fighters. That let's me protect a planet or planets I don't want to lose.
I need to figure out how to repair ships though
Insert witty comment here.

Ian C

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on April 08, 2016, 11:45:22 PM

There is no colony-rush at the start, due to the fact you won't have the tech to colonise every system, only those with Earthlike, Oceanic or Gaia planets. As such it poses some interesting strategic and political situations, especially if you make contact with other races. So at first, you will be be mapping-out the galaxy rather than expanding quickly.

mikeck

There is a mini-rush (for me anyway) at the beginning to grab earth like planets and oceanic. I try to use this time to set the boundaries of my future empire. Then I take my time filling it in. I don't think there is a traditional rush...not the kind where if you don't grab a lot of real estate quick, your screwed already
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on April 09, 2016, 07:16:32 AM
There is a mini-rush (for me anyway) at the beginning to grab earth like planets and oceanic. I try to use this time to set the boundaries of my future empire. Then I take my time filling it in. I don't think there is a traditional rush...not the kind where if you don't grab a lot of real estate quick, your screwed already

+1. This is how I play.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

If you try to rush on Hard you can screw yourself pretty badly. On Medium, not so much so, but food can still be an issue.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

mikeck

Out of my first Terran planets, one is always agriculture only and one is industrial. Research can wait for my first ocean. This way I get plenty of food and generally have 2 planets that can pump out colonizers and ships. (Home world and 1st Terran industrialized.

It depends though. In the game I'm in now, I had 4 Terran planets and 2 oceanic before I knew it. Game before that I had a heck of a time finding them.

I also found a Gaia world. Gets good late game because you can put soooo much of whatever on it. Early game not so much. I made mine exclusively research (except for a few mines) and man, it cranks out the points
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

solops

Just finished my first game. I had to conquer all 375 star system, one-by-one and then STILL did not get the game to finish due to a bug I discovered. Frustrating. Near the end, I just created a couple of killer fleets and glassed the last 40 or so enemy planets just to get the game to end...which it did not. Everything on the map was MINE, except for one planet where two other races were locked in unending combat, so the game would not end....no domination or extermination victory. I was unable to invade or glass the problem planet. My biggest gripe about the game so far is the primitive and inadequate system for providing bug data. Can't e-mail the zipped save files or post them to their forums. And I am not going to go get some public mailbox account myself just to provide the developers with my save files. All-in-all a really, really good game. Patches and the promised improvements should make it a real keeper.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

I have to agree...this is really a fantastic game. It doesn't come across that way at first impression, but stick with it for a bit and it really takes off. It just nails so many things right, and in a pretty unique way too. The sense of scale, distance and time is really appreciable in this game like no other 4x I can recall. Planning ahead is critical and the sense of urgency while waiting years to build a fleet strong enough to engage in contested space is really exciting. When one of your systems gets invaded, or a carefully constructed fleet gets destroyed, the sense of loss can be staggering. The tech list goes on and on and so many of the technologies are creative and actually useful.

I've got close to 20 hours sunk into this and I'm not feeling like I'm going to stop anytime soon.  This game has really helped me forget about Stellaris for now. Bravo to the developers.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Agree 100%. I'm hoping for a couple DLCs come down the pipe to flesh out the  ground combat. I would like to design ground vehicles just like the space vehicles. Also add a supply requirement where your ground forces require a certain amount of supply every month while in combat. This would be produced with the same icon you use to build ground troops. A freighter can deliver. That way, you can cut off the planet from the enemy without having the troops keep fighting

Jarhead0331

^Speaking of supply, I'd like to know how the empire wide supply system really works. It doesn't seem that worlds can be really blockaded, or strangled from supply. It would be nice to be able to starve a world out, or enact some kind of economic sanctions against a stubborn foe. I had cut-off an enemy world that was completely surrounded by my colonies and it was totally within my space. I had fleets in orbit, yet it was still able to thrive and continue building ground troops. I think it took me 9 years to subjugate that world with Marines and heavy armor.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 09, 2016, 09:33:29 PM
^Speaking of supply, I'd like to know how the empire wide supply system really works. It doesn't seem that worlds can be really blockaded, or strangled from supply. It would be nice to be able to starve a world out, or enact some kind of economic sanctions against a stubborn foe. I had cut-off an enemy world that was completely surrounded by my colonies and it was totally within my space. I had fleets in orbit, yet it was still able to thrive and continue building ground troops. I think it took me 9 years to subjugate that world with Marines and heavy armor.

I don't own this yet but it is a game I will certainly buy down the road.  Just curious JH....when you say it took 9 years to subjugate; was that 9 turns, is a turn 1 year, if not, what is a turn?  Thanks.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rayfer on April 10, 2016, 07:24:22 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 09, 2016, 09:33:29 PM

I don't own this yet but it is a game I will certainly buy down the road.  Just curious JH....when you say it took 9 years to subjugate; was that 9 turns, is a turn 1 year, if not, what is a turn?  Thanks.

It is real time pausible. All production, movement and combat takes place in realtime. Orders can be issued while paused, and there are several speed options, which is critical since traveling between stars can take decades and wars can drag on for hundreds of years.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jomni

I think the time scale makes this epic.