Polaris Sector - another new space 4x

Started by RedArgo, November 02, 2015, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Also found a way to create new Starlanes:

Research "stargates"
Build 2 ships each with a stargates module.
Fly them to the two stars you want to connect with a Starlane
Then activate the stargate in each ship

It creates a new Starlane between those two systems but destroys the statgate ships
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

ghostryder

Added – Option to permanently remove ship designs (Hold down shift and click the delete button)

Can order 150 fighters at once from planetary build queue

Updated AI rules to force it to stand and fight after a second retreat in a row

Three of my pet peeves addressed. the wack-a-mole pirate frustration being the worse---Late game however there is a tech called warp prohibitor that prevents pirates from running.

solops

Quote from: ghostryder on April 04, 2016, 09:42:47 PM
Late game however there is a tech called warp prohibitor that prevents pirates from running.

The Warp Prohibitor - don't leave home without it. All of my fleets have a dedicated "Interdictor" class vessel lurking in the rear.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Tanaka

Quote from: mikeck on April 04, 2016, 04:29:45 PM
New post by devs. Patch out tomorrow. Here is the changelist

http://steamcommunity.com/app/418250/discussions/0/371918937275744568/

Hi,
We'll be putting the first patch up tomorrow (5th April) and it will be initially as an open beta so that we can check stability.

Changelog v1.03:

Stability:
Fixed – Crash on exiting Settings Configurator
Fixed – Misc other crash bugs
Fixed – Boot error when using the "-design" option
Fixed – Remove the possibility to use special symbols in names (was causing save issues)
Fixed – Crash at end of Tutorials when playing in Spanish

AI:
Change – Updated AI rules to force it to stand and fight after a second retreat in a row
Change – Increased AI focus on science production on Hard difficulty
Change – Planetary governer mode "Mineral" renamed to "Mineral+"
Added – New Planetary governer "Mineral" that will only build mineral facilities, nothing else. Use this when you want to add mineral mines but not reduce food or research output
Fixed – Colonizers can now take population from a planet with population control

UI:
Added – Option to permanently remove ship designs (Hold down shift and click the delete button)
Fixed – Scrolling in the economics screen could scroll down the events log
Speculative Fix – Reduced UI messages about planetary bombardment
Change – If combat cannot be simulated in a reasonable time then game uses calculations rather than simulation. If this happens then no statistics are shown on post-battle screen.
Change – Can order 150 fighters at once from planetary build queue
Added – More tooltip info on the impact of extended working hours on exhausted workers
Fixed – Can now have the same name ship design across multiple races

Gameplay:
Fixed – Transporting population to world with Shipyards but not factories will no longer destroy the shipyards nor any excess Colonial Modules
Fixed – Muon Fusion Reactor changed to 6x6
Change – lessened the rate of impact of extended working hours on your workers
Fixed – Removed ability to destroy orbital structures or launch invasions before combat resolved

Modding:
Fixed – Can now use SCENARIO folders inside Mod folders
Added – Ability to add Heroes

Er everyone is talking about the AI research bug but I do not see it being fixed in this patch?

goldsboro

Change – Increased AI focus on science production on Hard difficulty - this

ghostryder

Increased AI focus on science production on Hard difficulty

This may be it but not sure.

Dread Rlyeh

Ufnv  [developer] 5 hours ago     
Normal was also affected, however on hard it's visible the most

https://steamcommunity.com/app/418250/discussions/0/371918937275744568/

This should fix the research issue (fingers crossed) - the patch should arrive in a few hours if I understand the UTC math.  Good news and I do like how communicative the devs (and Slitherine personnel) have been.   All in all, good omens. 

Dread Rlyeh

The beta patch is up on steam.  itbegins.jpg

edit: blast - they added a new difficulty level below hard, challenge.  Decisions, decisions.   I usually play 4x games on the penultimate level until I have the system down to some extent.  I think I'm going to stay on hard, which will probably be a mistake given the huge research inefficiency resulting from not understanding the nuances of all the tech, etc. 

mikeck

Hell, best i could do before in my first major war was a draw...on normal...with the AI not generating research points for the first 200 years. Think I will stay there
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Tanaka

Quote from: ghostryder on April 04, 2016, 12:06:13 AM
Nice to see the Beta patch on the way but overall I think the game is pretty solid bug wise. i haven't had a single crash and saw no noticable bugs. pleased after Stardrive II--which still freezes on me after x amount of turns once I'm pretty well expanded. And that's been out some time now-even a new DLC.

I've modded it a bit already. I have a 9 race Spiral map of 900 starts modded as "spiral Campaign"....mainly I re-placed the race start positions so each is far from the other. You can easily change planet types, add planets or delete them as well. it's pretty easy with notepad+:

Start a new game. pick your race, number of starts, ect. Then save the game and exit.

Go into "my documents\my games\Polaris sector\scenerio       Your see a file called gen---this was generated by the game as you set it up. Now open it in notepad or natepad+. At the upper right your see the name again "gen 0". Change this to whatever your going to call the campaign. Say "test campaign"

To find the races search for "HomeworldFor"  -----and your see each races starting planet(s). You can change the type, "earthlike", Ocean" Desert and so on if you wish. if you made notes of star names when you loaded the game of where you want to start just copy the HomewordFor, 0 "HUM"  (or whatever race your playing)  line to that star and delete it from where you moved it from. You can move the A.I. races the same way. opening the map and noting star names around your start position or wherever you can change and add planets to your hearts content.

Not much else you can do with the file, and to do anymore modding you need to unpack files and use tools to edit them. But it's possible to replace races, their movies , ships and their models and so on. The guy doing the Starwars mod has a few files for this as the dev hasn't really released any modding tools yet. His instructions are a bit wishy washy as English is not his native language, and even the mod videos are in a different language as well-but following them is still helpful on some things.

When i have time I might mod some races in, as well as thier movies and music---as I think those areas are the games weak points. Some of that music sounds like "elevator music" -there's a couple tracks that are okay but most of it is annoying. And well, we've discussed the Teddy Bears.  8)

Ok as per your instructions I want to take a look at starting points as well but when I go into the gen folder I see a file called export.scn and when I open it with notepad it is blank. What am I missing here?

(Edit) Ok I tried with an old save and it did not work. Tried with new game and it worked thanks!

New question is how in the world do you find where everybody is with 900 stars? That has to take forever!

jamus34

One thing I will say is I'm impressed with the amount of positive discussion this game has generated. Even if the game is limited and somewhat flawed it is something nice to see
Insert witty comment here.

ghostryder

Ok as per your instructions I want to take a look at starting points as well but when I go into the gen folder I see a file called export.scn and when I open it with notepad it is blank. What am I missing here?

(Edit) Ok I tried with an old save and it did not work. Tried with new game and it worked thanks!

New question is how in the world do you find where everybody is with 900 stars? That has to take forever!

the gen export file is created right after you start a new game. Note before you exit the new game it is wise to look at the map and choose the stars you want to have start positions. Write them down.

There are nine races--in the gen file they are abbreviated-- HUM is human, Mag is Magellan and so on. To quickly find the races in the file search for "HomeworldFor" in notepad. (the search for next option is located under the edit drop down) Also remember the search function goes one way. Up or down. if you can't find a race you know is there switch directions on the search.

Lets say your default position for human on the map is Miram. In the gen file it'll look like this:

star "Miram"
  type "K"
  size 2.486667
  coord 2864.534424, 38.999317, -11.119999

visited
  planet "Earthlike"  HomeworldFor "Hum"  Preset "Temperate", 0, "Hum"
  planet "GasGiant", 0, "NoOnes"
  planet "Exhausted1", 0, "NoOnes"
end

Highlight the "planet "Earthlike"  HomeworldFor "Hum"  Preset "Temperate", 0, "Hum"" and right-click/copy

That'll put the line in the clipboard for pasting in the new location later. But before you co there delete "HomeworldFor "Hum"  Preset "Temperate"" and change the HUM to "NoOnes"

The line should then look like this:  planet "Earthlike" , 0 , "NoOnes"

That removes the human start position. To place it in another star you picked out while in the game just search for the star name and paste what you copied "planet "Earthlike"  HomeworldFor "Hum"  Preset "Temperate", 0, "Hum"

if there are only two planets there you can add the line for a third planet ---make it the top of the list. If there are three delete one of the planets and paste the line there..

To make it work You MUST do the following things:

First line under "Name" at the top of the file will be called Gen O or something of the sort. Rename it to what your calling the campaign...say Human Campaign. If you do not do this once you copy the file to the scenerio folder under the main game directory of steam it'll bonkers you game set up and lock all races and maps to 8 and the one map.

Now "save as" the file and name it the same as you did inside the file "Human campaign"

Now you must copy this file into the scenerio folder under the main game folder under steam: program files\Steam\steamapps\common\Polaris sector\scenerio

When you start the game your see "Human campaign" listed under the galaxy types. Choose it and your good to go :smitten:

Tanaka

Quote from: ghostryder on April 05, 2016, 06:07:54 PM

the gen export file is created right after you start a new game. Note before you exit the new game it is wise to look at the map and choose the stars you want to have start positions. Write them down.

There are nine races--in the gen file they are abbreviated-- HUM is human, Mag is Magellan and so on. To quickly find the races in the file search for "HomeworldFor" in notepad. (the search for next option is located under the edit drop down) Also remember the search function goes one way. Up or down. if you can't find a race you know is there switch directions on the search.

Lets say your default position for human on the map is Miram. In the gen file it'll look like this:

star "Miram"
  type "K"
  size 2.486667
  coord 2864.534424, 38.999317, -11.119999

visited
  planet "Earthlike"  HomeworldFor "Hum"  Preset "Temperate", 0, "Hum"
  planet "GasGiant", 0, "NoOnes"
  planet "Exhausted1", 0, "NoOnes"
end

Highlight the "planet "Earthlike"  HomeworldFor "Hum"  Preset "Temperate", 0, "Hum"" and right-click/copy

That'll put the line in the clipboard for pasting in the new location later. But before you co there delete "HomeworldFor "Hum"  Preset "Temperate"" and change the HUM to "NoOnes"

The line should then look like this:  planet "Earthlike" , 0 , "NoOnes"

That removes the human start position. To place it in another star you picked out while in the game just search for the star name and paste what you copied "planet "Earthlike"  HomeworldFor "Hum"  Preset "Temperate", 0, "Hum"

if there are only two planets there you can add the line for a third planet ---make it the top of the list. If there are three delete one of the planets and paste the line there..

To make it work You MUST do the following things:

First line under "Name" at the top of the file will be called Gen O or something of the sort. Rename it to what your calling the campaign...say Human Campaign. If you do not do this once you copy the file to the scenerio folder under the main game directory of steam it'll bonkers you game set up and lock all races and maps to 8 and the one map.

Now "save as" the file and name it the same as you did inside the file "Human campaign"

Now you must copy this file into the scenerio folder under the main game folder under steam: program files\Steam\steamapps\common\Polaris sector\scenerio

When you start the game your see "Human campaign" listed under the galaxy types. Choose it and your good to go :smitten:

Thanks for the tips!

Tanaka

Can you resupply weapons and fighters of other ships with a tanker with munitions supply? It says it an only resupply the hanger and weapons of the mother ship itself?

jomni

Can anyone confirm this?

You can apparently test out your ship designs in simulated combat before actually making the ship in the Camapign.

http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=404&t=71292