The Weekend's Feature: Combat Mission Final Blitzkrieg

Started by bayonetbrant, August 13, 2016, 08:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

That was an excellent review.  Really got a feel for the game.  Thanks.

Boggit

Thanks Airboy.  :) I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had a lot of fun with the game.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Sir Slash

Great review Boggit. I'll confess to being a little scared of CMFB because I do so poorly in the rest games I'm afraid this game will just laugh at me. Like this.... :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Or like the vomit smiley so popular last month... ;)

Boggit (or maybe Brant?): do a quick search on your article for "First Blitz" -- I saw one place you accidentally typed that instead of "Final". Which I shall count as wishful thinking, because why not? WHY WON'T THEY DO A FIRST BLITZ GAME, WAAAHHHHYYYYYY?! {sniffle}

Oh well. We still have Afrika Korps and our mods.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Boggit

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

@Jason :)
I wouldn't be surprised if there was the subconscious wish to see an early war combat mission manifest in a typo to that effect. Like you, I'd love an early war combat mission - and the CMBN vehicle pack already has some of the French tanks that would be used.

Not perfect cf a First Blitzkrieg, but IIRC there is a scenario on the Few Good Men dealing with an action at a Belgian canal in 1940. British Guards IIRC vs Germans. It might go some way as a fix for you. :) If you can't find it, email me... I have it backed up somewhere.

@Sir Slash :)
The combat mission games take a fair bit of patience to get a good result. I typically play on élite now, but it's all about recon, then setting up a good base of fire, then flanking if possible. One common mistake is bunching too many guys in one area, getting stuck in open ground...

This is the first of a great 101 series that I found very helpful. I hope it helps your game. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ6dDlqye9Q

And some more just in case... ;)
http://battledrill.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/combat-mission-tactical-problems-cmtp.html
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bayonetbrant

JP thanks - fixed.  Totally missed it during editing
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.