Main Menu

GPU RAM - How much

Started by OJsDad, July 15, 2017, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

I'm looking at putting together a new PC.  Looking at video cards, I'm trying to decide if I should go with 4gb or 8gb on the card.  Any thoughts. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Barthheart

Go to 8GB if you can at all afford it. There a mod for Civ VI that I can't run because I only have 4 and the min spec is 6.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Barthheart on July 15, 2017, 02:36:17 PM
Go to 8GB if you can at all afford it. There a mod for Civ VI that I can't run because I only have 4 and the min spec is 6.
Minimum requirement of 6GB for GPU ram?  :o
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 16, 2017, 03:28:17 PM
Minimum requirement of 6GB for GPU ram?  :o

Yeah.... massive earth map.

Greybriar

I've got 8 GB and haven't had any problem running games, so I'd say Barthheart is correct.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

BanzaiCat

The capacity on a graphics card would be much more important, wouldn't it?

The rig I have has 12GB on it, but the graphics card sucks, so I can't even run games like Skyrim or Homefront on it without getting glitches on the characters.

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 17, 2017, 09:13:01 AM
The capacity on a graphics card would be much more important, wouldn't it?

The rig I have has 12GB on it, but the graphics card sucks, so I can't even run games like Skyrim or Homefront on it without getting glitches on the characters.

They're talking about graphics cards, dingus. GPU = Graphics Processing Unit or "Graphics Card" aka Video Card :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I'm not a dingus, I'm a troll.

But yes, kind of a dingus.

mirth

Where's Batman? He's the Ultimate Troll.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Pete Dero

Why not go all the way : 

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-Vega-Frontier-Edition-16GB-Liquid-Cooled-Review   16 GB at a $1500

or the budget version :

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Radeon-Vega-Frontier-Edition-16GB-Air-Cooled-Review  16 GB at a $999

OJsDad

Quote from: Pete Dero on July 17, 2017, 09:57:22 AM

Why not go all the way : 

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-Vega-Frontier-Edition-16GB-Liquid-Cooled-Review   16 GB at a $1500

or the budget version :

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Radeon-Vega-Frontier-Edition-16GB-Air-Cooled-Review  16 GB at a $999

Why's the easy part, I'm married.   :coolsmiley:
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Windigo

If you're looking for 8 GB of GPU RAM, best bet now are probably the NVIDIA 1070 cards.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

BanzaiCat

I've got an HP Envy desktop that desperately needs a better graphics card.

Windigo

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 03, 2018, 02:09:44 PM
I've got an HP Envy desktop that desperately needs a better graphics card.

From what I see, they have a 300W power supply/ That limits your options. 1060 3GB
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.