Legends Of Aria - very Ultima Online

Started by Nefaro, November 27, 2018, 10:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

UO devs' new game, Legends Of Aria, just got it's early start today. 

Been out of MMORPGs for years, but jumped at this.  Maybe super nostalgia but I've been wanting a 'new Old UO' sandbox MMO for a long time.  :notworthy:

And, yes, you can lose all your equipment if you get killed & looted in the large PvP wilderness areas.  Actually many of the mechanics, names, etc are like the early years of Ultima.   :coolsmiley:

https://www.legendsofaria.com/

Huw the Poo

Interesting!  I did enjoy my brief time with UO so I'm definitely going to look into this when it's released.  Are you signed up then, Nef?

As a side note, about a month or so ago I went on a mega hunt for MMORPGs but didn't spot this one at all.  Odd.

Tpek

I'm a Kickstarter backer and actually started playing the headstart a bit yesterday (until a neighborhood-wide blackout occurred :( ).

I am, however, looking forward to more casual servers, with no forced PvP, and not losing all my stuff upon dying.

Rayfer

Quote from: Tpek on November 28, 2018, 06:35:18 AM
I'm a Kickstarter backer and actually started playing the headstart a bit yesterday (until a neighborhood-wide blackout occurred :( ).

I am, however, looking forward to more casual servers, with no forced PvP, and not losing all my stuff upon dying.

If I remember correctly this forced PvP got completely out of hand soon after the game came out those many years ago.  A lot of players got fed up and migrated over to the then new Everquest and never went back.

Geezer

Looks interesting but I've tried forced PvP with full looting and hated it.  There are plenty of games already without those features for me, so good luck to them.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Tpek

This is why I'm eager for private servers with different rulesets :)

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Tpek on November 28, 2018, 10:19:30 AM

Is that going to be officially supported then?  That makes me even more interested.  I don't mind forced PvP, but optional is even better.

Tpek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 28, 2018, 12:55:27 PM
Quote from: Tpek on November 28, 2018, 10:19:30 AM

Is that going to be officially supported then?  That makes me even more interested.  I don't mind forced PvP, but optional is even better.

Not on the official servers, but later on users will have the option to create their own servers with their custom rulesets.

Tpek

@Nefaro, are you the one posting on the LoA forum under the alias "Nefarious" ?

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on November 28, 2018, 03:37:43 PM
@Nefaro, are you the one posting on the LoA forum under the alias "Nefarious" ?

Nope.

Impostors!

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 28, 2018, 01:56:16 AM
Interesting!  I did enjoy my brief time with UO so I'm definitely going to look into this when it's released.  Are you signed up then, Nef?

As a side note, about a month or so ago I went on a mega hunt for MMORPGs but didn't spot this one at all.  Odd.

I never encountered it either.  Just happened to see a YouTube recommendation and wondered what it was.  Ended up being the exact same day it went live & no more wipes.  Started playing a bit last night.

It's obviously still a work in progress to some extent.  Had a couple crashes, but all the basic gameplay is there.  Figured I'd start crafting for awhile at first.  Got on the blacksmith grind train initially.

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on November 28, 2018, 04:11:56 PM

I never encountered it either.  Just happened to see a YouTube recommendation and wondered what it was.  Ended up being the exact same day it went live & no more wipes.  Started playing a bit last night.

It's obviously still a work in progress to some extent.  Had a couple crashes, but all the basic gameplay is there.  Figured I'd start crafting for awhile at first.  Got on the blacksmith grind train initially.

It seems everyone (myself included) are doing Blacksmithing :P

acctingman

I'd be into this, but the forced pvp is a no go for me.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on November 28, 2018, 04:57:43 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 28, 2018, 04:11:56 PM

It seems everyone (myself included) are doing Blacksmithing :P

Makes me reconsider doing wood/carpentry and pew pew'ing with a Bow.  So many people smithing in Helm, all the anvil "pings" made my audio flip out.   ;D