Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Are you saying you set them to Mark Mines and leave them there for a few minutes? If so, that won't work because the Mark Mines is disabled.

If you are saying leave them in-situ for a few minutes so they can "detect" a minefield and THEN you can set them to Mark Mines, then that makes sense and I haven't done that yet.

What I did do is create several points in/around where the map shows there are mines - all slow moving and had a pause of 15 seconds at each point. Not only did they detect nothing but the Mark Mines did not enable and only became enabled when a vehicle blew up.

If you're saying as I mentioned at the top of my post that you leave them sitting there and eventually they detect a minefield and they are then able to mark mines, then that sounds reasonable. But this all really, really needs to be in the manual. There's literally a couple of lines in a paragraph for marking mines and it doesn't mention the above...it simply says you put them near the mine field and get them to mark mines and it takes a few minutes for them to do so.

Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 19, 2018, 06:26:55 AM
If you are saying leave them in-situ for a few minutes so they can "detect" a minefield and THEN you can set them to Mark Mines, then that makes sense and I haven't done that yet.

That should work (but the wiki doesn't mention it)

http://combatmission.wikia.com/wiki/Mine

http://combatmission.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_mines

Discovering Mines

Mines are always known to their owner. The other player may discover them during play.

Generally minefields are revealed only when one of their mines explodes. However, they can occasionally be discovered without losses by infantry moving through them (that is, moving into or out of the minefield's action spot). This is more likely when the infantry:

are crawling or walking (and to a lesser extent, hunting)
    are engineers
    are experienced
    The minefield has already been discovered by another unit (e.g. by setting off a mine) [this info came from the manual -- not sure if it means anything]

For infantry, the chance of triggering a mine when traversing an action spot varies with the same factors mentioned above. However, the strongest factor seems to be the minefield strength -- infantry can move Quick across a field with only a few mines left. However, in full-strength minefields or those having only detonated a few mines, the chance of triggering a mine is quite high except for engineers. Even experienced infantry crawling will trigger a mine in an action spot more often than not.

jomni

When I read the above post, I feel that it's a random chance with modifiers. So it may or may not happen all the time or the time to detect is variable... even with engineers.

JudgeDredd

^ I'm good with that - a random chance of finding mines. But let the manual explain it. Otherwise you're left scratching your head wondering WTF you have to do to detect mines - or get the ability enabled to Mark Mines...or you're left thinking (as me and JH were) that it's a bug.

Just - document your shit.  :2funny: If there's a random chance there, go for it...but document it.
Alba gu' brath

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 19, 2018, 02:01:10 AM
That technique didn't work at all. No mines were sighted and I lost two vehicles

Also - how do you do a 360 arc? I could only get a 180 arc

Sorry about that.  I took a look and think I may have found why.  In CMSF in addition to the three minefield types (AT, AP and mixed) there is also an IED minefield.  This IED minefield is not the wire, cell & radio IEDs I posted a screenshot of but seems to be a hard to detect AT minefield.  I suspect the scenario has these IED minefields in the gap in the berm and as you discovered my SOP does not work with type of minefield.  The scenario is part of a campaign so I can't easily open it in the editor or I would check.  Would need to de-compile the campaign etc. 

I tested the IED minefields and it took regular experienced engineers an average of seven minutes to detect the mines.  One team of engineers did not detect them after 30 minutes when I ended the test. They also seem to have only one AT mine in the minefield making it less likely you'll hit it.  Then once you do hit it that action spot minefield is neutralized.   

For a 360 degree target arc hold down the Shift key while making the arc.     

jomni

Quote from: MOS:96B2P on December 19, 2018, 12:41:09 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 19, 2018, 02:01:10 AM
That technique didn't work at all. No mines were sighted and I lost two vehicles

Also - how do you do a 360 arc? I could only get a 180 arc

Sorry about that.  I took a look and think I may have found why.  In CMSF in addition to the three minefield types (AT, AP and mixed) there is also an IED minefield.  This IED minefield is not the wire, cell & radio IEDs I posted a screenshot of but seems to be a hard to detect AT minefield.  I suspect the scenario has these IED minefields in the gap in the berm and as you discovered my SOP does not work with type of minefield.  The scenario is part of a campaign so I can't easily open it in the editor or I would check.  Would need to de-compile the campaign etc. 

I tested the IED minefields and it took regular experienced engineers an average of seven minutes to detect the mines.  One team of engineers did not detect them after 30 minutes when I ended the test. They also seem to have only one AT mine in the minefield making it less likely you'll hit it.  Then once you do hit it that action spot minefield is neutralized.   

For a 360 degree target arc hold down the Shift key while making the arc.   

With scenarios lasting an hour, 30 minutes is too much. Might as well avoid it and move on or sacrifice a casualty to detect it.

IICptMillerII

Enemy minefields have to be spotted by a unit before they can be marked. By spotted, I mean the individual action spot with the mine sign visible. Minefields can be spotted in 2 primary ways. The first is the mines are run over by infantry/vehicles. The second is by placing engineers close to the action spot you suspect might contain mines, and then waiting to see if the engineers discover anything. Whether or not the engineers discover anything is based on their soft factors (training) and ambient conditions (day/night, weather such as snow on the ground) It is possible for veteran engineers to never discover mines even if they are very close to them after waiting a long time, though that is less likely.

The more engineers in a squad, or the more engineers in the area looking for mines (stationary in/near the action spots you suspect to be mined) the faster you will be able to discover and then mark them. A squad of 9 engineers will mark a mined action spot faster than a team of 4 will.

A note about the first mission of Task Force Thunder: the breach teams are not technically engineers. They are breachers who have the mark mines capability, but their ability to spot mines and mark them is not as good as a proper engineer unit. Personally I wish a detachment of proper engineers were provided for the mission. As of right now, the best way to deal with the mined roadway is to move vehicles over one at a time, using the slow command. This reduces the chance that they will set off a mine, though it's not a guarantee. (As an additional note, once a minefield has been marked, you should also only cross it using the slow command. A marked minefield does not mean the mines have been removed, it just means the engineers have placed physical markers on the mines. A tank tearing through going 40mph likely won't see the individual markers, and even if it did, wouldn't have time to maneuver around them. This is why vehicles moving faster than slow over marked minefields are still likely to set off a mine)

In reality the mission would likely be supported by at the very least a tank with a mine plow, or more optimally an ABV. However none of these vehicles are in CM so the best we have currently are engineers, and we don't even get proper engineers for the mission. Hopefully in the future BFC release an engineering vehicle pack, but as far as I know there are no plans for that as of right now.

Jarhead0331

Maybe this is something they will address in Combat Mission Shock Force 3?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 19, 2018, 07:21:56 PM

Hopefully my great-great-great-great grandchildren will be able to play it based on past release schedules:)

IICptMillerII

Nah probably more like Shock Force 14, but it'll be worth the wait and DRM hassle!  :2funny:

Michael Dorosh

Engineering tasks have been on a lot of customer want lists since 1999 - deliberate demolitions of bridges, removal of roadblocks, barbed wire clearance, foxhole digging. The conventional argument has been that some of those tasks are out of the scope of a tactical game, and I bought that argument when the longest CM games were about an hour, but with the ability to fight on huge maps with 4-hour time limits, seems odd not to have the ability to dig shell-scrapes or even full foxholes.

demjansk1942

I used to love the games, have original shock force but not upgrading

Pete Dero

Yesterday I bought the $35 upgrade but couldn't run the game because it didn't accept my Gamersgate key for the base game.

Opened a ticket and received a new key that works in less than 24 hour (and in the weekend).

A happy customer  :bd:.

Tuna

You didn't have to buy the CMSF1 upgrade before the CMSF2 uprade?

Pete Dero

Quote from: Tuna on December 30, 2018, 07:43:20 AM
You didn't have to buy the CMSF1 upgrade before the CMSF2 uprade?

I already owned the complete SF1 package (all from the Battlefront store except the base game I had from Gamersgate).
The $35 upgrade is what turns CMSF1 into CMSF2.   I think the Gamersgate digital version I had was CMSF1 v 1.2.  No need for another upgrade, patched it for free to v 1.32.
Maybe it is different when you bought it on disc.

Activated the base game with my new key and used my Battlefront keys for the addons.