The Vainglory of Grogheads - Pride of Nations PBEM AAR

Started by undercovergeek, September 11, 2014, 03:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

undercovergeek

lmao

when i finally unify this damn boot, theres going to be a wine tsunami

Martok

Quote from: Tuna on November 16, 2014, 11:23:13 AM
hmm my Son is looking at it this morning, I think he's going to start a game as Prussia (he's a Paradox head), but he keeps looking over my shoulder when I do turns for our game.. lol.. when I first had the music turned on, he kept asking if I was playing Vicky2.
Ha!  It's happened a few times where friends/family have gotten hooked on a game watching me play it.  Never gets old for me.  ;D 

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 16, 2014, 04:19:40 PM
when i finally unify this damn boot, theres going to be a wine tsunami
LOL.  There's a quotable quote right there. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Tuna

Well I'm at Peace and I don't like that. I have a Cassus Belli for Moroco, so maybe they will be next. First I need to repair my Merchants that were badly damaged in the war with UK. Then I can start selling UCG's wine on the open seas and fund my next war!

JasonPratt

I was busy with other games and didn't have this one patched up enough at the time.

Besides, I'm enjoying living vicariously.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Silent Disapproval Robot

Looks like the economic crisis is over, so that's something at least. 

undercovergeek

Silent Disapproval Robot

Cringe in fear!  Russia has harnessed the power of the Glover tower!  (I have no idea what that is.  Something to do with more efficient lead smelting apparently.  FEAR ME!)

Martok

LOL! 

I take it you're still making at least some progress then? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Silent Disapproval Robot

Not at all.  The 18,000 man Khivan army of immortals are still running around in the desert.  They've already killed 100,000 of my men.  I must have triggered some ancient AI curse for they magically replenish to full strength after every battle.  Oh well, at least I can more efficiently smelt lead so the lead lined coffins my army requires will be cheaper to produce.

undercovergeek

Good news - I'm building prada and bulgari luxury factories - fear my shoes and handbags

Bad news - just lost 3 trade posts to rebellion

Worse news - first unification trigger is 1860 - I think that's another 120 turns away

Tuna

I'm just trying to replenish my troops (not enough Manpower), and rebuild my merchant fleets..  Thinking of declaring war on Morocco since i have a Cassus Belli on them.

bbmike

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 23, 2014, 01:06:44 PM
Not at all.  The 18,000 man Khivan army of immortals are still running around in the desert.  They've already killed 100,000 of my men.  I must have triggered some ancient AI curse for they magically replenish to full strength after every battle.  Oh well, at least I can more efficiently smelt lead so the lead lined coffins my army requires will be cheaper to produce.

This is why in my current game as the US I'm not starting any trouble with the Indians. After reading your accounts I'm afraid of undead Indian zombie armies!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Silent Disapproval Robot

Make sure you've got a lot of fast units, ridiculous amounts of supply wagons and a chain depots to support them, and make sure you completely surround the enemy before you take him on.  If he can retreat, you're screwed because he'll just keep renewing himself while you wither away.

Silent Disapproval Robot

We had a major bug with the 1.04RC2 hotfix.  The game tried to trigger the Caucasus rebellion for Russia but it would crash every time I tried to run the turn.  I attempted to use both Tuna's and UCG's saves as my own to try and run the turn as Italy or France.  This worked before when the turn wouldn't process but this time there was no luck.

I searched the forums and found that others had had this problem as Russia as well and it may be related to already having a rebellion in progress when the Caucasus uprising event triggers.  At any rate, the "fix" is reverting back to v1.03e of the game so I've done so and it seems to be working again.  (and I can now see unit cards and the census screen!  Damn, those Finns are pissed at me for some reason!)

Anyway, I now have a new czar.  Not too sure what happened to the old one but you know how these czars can be...

I was also able to lay down a pretty good beating on the Khivans for once.  Not enough to wipe them out so they're back at full strength again but it was enough to give me a bit of a breather so I could reinforce some of my losses and also recruit a cavalry corps.  Hopefully they'll not only have the strength to take on the Khivan army but also the speed needed to keep up with them should they try to retreat.