ASL Starter Kit Learning Q&A With a Noob

Started by Bison, October 07, 2012, 10:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

Do you have the OBA flowchart from AP1 (I think it was)?  I thought that I had the pdf of it but I don't.  I do have the actual printed chart however and can pdf it if you don't have it.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GJK on November 03, 2012, 01:35:18 AM
Do you have the OBA flowchart from AP1 (I think it was)?  I thought that I had the pdf of it but I don't.  I do have the actual printed chart however and can pdf it if you don't have it.

LOL, I feel like such an idiot.  I have the 2nd edition rules, and the chart is included.  That chart has been there all along, and I have just overlooked it.

After looking at the complexity of the chart, it's no wonder they did not put OBA in the starter packs.  Anyway, thanks to your help, I'm going to try some OBA today with a buddy of mine.  We are playing one of those Critical Hit scenarios out of their Stonne 40 pack.  The scenario gives both the French and Germans OBA. 

At some point, I'll probably write a OBA play example, just as a learning exercise and for my own sanity.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

So thanks to GJK and Tallin, I guess I just went from "Newbie" to "Newbie+" by playing some games on VASL with them. 

VASL is a great way to get started. 

Also, some of us grogheads interested in ASL are gathering under the Grogs ASL League. 

Link http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=3532.0
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Bison

Well I finally got my copy of ASLSK 1.  Now the problem is the 6 other games I got too..../sigh/....life's hard some days. :D

GJK

I'd be up for some VASL next Saturday or Sunday - if we want to get some guys together for it.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Let me see what I can do for next weekend, but right now the wife has dibs on weekend time since I was gone at prezcon this weekend.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Bison on October 09, 2012, 12:20:39 AM
Wow.  I just did a quick look at the files.  Holy Shnikey, there is a lot of materials there to read and learn from about gameplay.

Well worth the effort!!!!  The game is very rewarding.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Bison

Well I've thumbed through the rules again, but this time I was able to do it with a paper version of ASLSK1.  And I've got VASL setup and ready to go as far as I can tell well except the scenarios.  The download link is broken.  So not sure what I'm missing here, but I assume you can pull the required counters based on the paper scenario for the OOB thingy.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Bison on March 01, 2013, 09:01:06 PM
Well I've thumbed through the rules again, but this time I was able to do it with a paper version of ASLSK1.  And I've got VASL setup and ready to go as far as I can tell well except the scenarios.  The download link is broken.  So not sure what I'm missing here, but I assume you can pull the required counters based on the paper scenario for the OOB thingy.

Yes, scenario links are broken.  I have had to hunt and peck on google to find scenarios. 

But yes, you should have all of the counters you need in the OOB tray (and then some) to start any scenario.  Many scenarios are relatively light in terms of counters and set up, so it only takes a few min to use the paper scenario to set it up.  There are also plenty of places to find scans of paper scenarios as well...again google is the place to go.

When you go online with VASL, your opponent will more than likely be able to give you a copy of a start file.   

BTW, one nice thing you can do with VASL is observe games.  If you hang out in the forum you can ask players to view their game.  Good way to learn.  Just be warned, that they will likely be playing full ASL, so there are many features / rules not present in the starter kits.  Also if they are on Skype, as opposed to chat, you won't be able to hear their commentary.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

GJK

The community sort of abandoned the scenario files mainly because people were finding too many mistakes in the set ups.  I have a boat load of the old set ups however, including most if not all of the SK scenarios.  I could zip those up and add it to the Dropbox folder if you all were interested.  Still, I'd double check them if you go to play a game using them.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

I kind of figured something like that happened to the scenarios.  One thing I've learned from visiting the ASL boards over at the gamesquad forums is that ASL gamers take the game very, very seriously.