ASL Starter Kit Learning Q&A With a Noob

Started by Bison, October 07, 2012, 10:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DV8

Quote from: GJK on October 10, 2012, 07:17:36 AM
Yes, those pdf's were muffed so I've removed that folder.  However, open up the file "ASLSK3-EP1RB.chm".  That is a compiled help manual that I put together that contains the latest SK rules with all the errata that I could find, plus plenty of extras.  Hint: look under "Scenarios" in the TOC.  The .chm opens up much more quickly than a pdf and the search feature is much more powerful than a pdf, which simply jumps from found word to found word.  I will have this file open when I'm playing VASL on my PC or I'll have it with me on my tablet when I'm playing at the table.  Also included are the CH. H (Historical notes), which should be consulted whenever you play a scenario that includes tanks or guns.

Nice work!  Do they have a Nobel Piece Prize for war gaming?  No, to bad.
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

GJK

Heh!  Thanks. 

It's ASL game day this Saturday for the Central-Texas ASL gang.  I'll be there with my son and a buddy of mine is coming in from Midland to join us at around noon.  Should be a fun day of ASL-gaming!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

Quote from: GJK on October 11, 2012, 02:21:23 PM
Heh!  Thanks. 

It's ASL game day this Saturday for the Central-Texas ASL gang.  I'll be there with my son and a buddy of mine is coming in from Midland to join us at around noon.  Should be a fun day of ASL-gaming!

You guys should consider a Live Webcast.  :D
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

ArizonaTank

ASL newbie here as well.  So really appreciate the information on VASSAL. 

I have Starter Kit 3 and the Expansion Pack 1, and agree that overall the rules in the packs are the best place to get started.  But frankly, they aren't as clear as I would have liked.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Bison

The biggest learning curve that I'm struggling through right now is that there are little rules nested in every paragraph that don't necessarily follow the current topic being covered.  In each terraIn paragraph there is seemingly a new rule every sentence for example, but they are unit weather season dependent.  Also the expansion pack will cite an example illustration that is not in the rule book.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Bison on October 15, 2012, 10:53:45 AM
The biggest learning curve that I'm struggling through right now is that there are little rules nested in every paragraph that don't necessarily follow the current topic being covered.  In each terraIn paragraph there is seemingly a new rule every sentence for example, but they are unit weather season dependent.  Also the expansion pack will cite an example illustration that is not in the rule book.

Yes, I agree, reading the side-bars is not optional, nor supplemental.  Also agree that they just don't flow well. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

GJK

I'm happy to help clear up any confusion or to answer any questions about ASL(SK) if that would help.  Ask away!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

ArizonaTank

I am looking at taking a toe dip into ASL with Vassal.  Any suggestions on an easy scenario, first board to use?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

GroggyGrognard

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 19, 2012, 06:01:11 PM
I am looking at taking a toe dip into ASL with Vassal.  Any suggestions on an easy scenario, first board to use?

"Retaking Vierville" and "War of the Rats" are excellent ASL introductory scenarios. Both are from SK#1.
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

GJK

As the Grog said, "S1" (Retaking Vierville) is the best to start with.  It's a handful of infantry only pieces on a simple mapsheet.  There's no support weapons or elevation in terrain.  Simple scenario that is fun to play.

Here's an article from Operations magazine that I reproduced (without permission - oops!).  It's an article that was written way back when the SK's first came out so I'm sure MMP won't cry over this being online:

http://garykrockover.com/ASL/articles.html

Are you on our list for Dropbox ArizonaTank?  Send me a note with your email address if you're not - you'll want some of those goodies.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GJK on October 20, 2012, 09:13:01 AM
As the Grog said, "S1" (Retaking Vierville) is the best to start with.  It's a handful of infantry only pieces on a simple mapsheet.  There's no support weapons or elevation in terrain.  Simple scenario that is fun to play.

Here's an article from Operations magazine that I reproduced (without permission - oops!).  It's an article that was written way back when the SK's first came out so I'm sure MMP won't cry over this being online:

http://garykrockover.com/ASL/articles.html

Are you on our list for Dropbox ArizonaTank?  Send me a note with your email address if you're not - you'll want some of those goodies.

Thanks for the help and the dropbox.  Some great stuff in there!!!!
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

I have been looking for an example of off-board artillery fire.  Maybe I have missed, but none of the tutorials seem to cover this.

Thanks
Larry 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

GJK

OBA isn't included with the Starter Kits.  I have some tutorials and a flowchart that cover it for full ASL that I can upload in the morning.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GJK on November 01, 2012, 11:35:12 PM
OBA isn't included with the Starter Kits.  I have some tutorials and a flowchart that cover it for full ASL that I can upload in the morning.

Thank you sir!  I have to admit that the 2nd Edition rules on OBA, just aren't clicking with me.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Thanks again.  The OBA assistant really helps.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"