Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg

Started by solops, October 28, 2017, 02:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Does (has) anyone played "Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg"? I have ordered it and I'd like to hear from the community here about it. I just do not have the time/space to play my "go to" games (Fire in the East/Scorched Earth and the old SPI War in Europe) any more. I also played World in Flames for years, which is sort of a "beer and pretzels" type of game, and I am looking for something different. I hope this is it.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Well, it came in today. The map and counters are beautiful. Time to clip some counters...YEAH! Got a brand new Oregon Lamination deluxe 2.5 mm clipper mentioned in the counter clipping thread. Gonna be some FUN tonight! Only 840 counters! That's nothing after clipping TWO sets of Fire in the East and Scorched Earth counters.
clip, clip, clip, clip...
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

bbmike

Quote from: solops on November 16, 2017, 12:08:00 AM
Well, it came in today. The map and counters are beautiful. Time to clip some counters...YEAH! Got a brand new Oregon Lamination deluxe 2.5 mm clipper mentioned in the counter clipping thread. Gonna be some FUN tonight! Only 840 counters! That's nothing after clipping TWO sets of Fire in the East and Scorched Earth counters.

The Oregon clipper is fantastic at what it does.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: solops on November 16, 2017, 12:08:00 AM

Good man  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

chemkid

great thread!   :bd:

i read the first post - searched for my copy of kilfara's book - thought about the fun i had reading it some time ago... returned to this thread...

now, i started looking into the book again a few days ago and guess what arrived today: AETK w/o these expensive clippers!!  :D

chemkid

...and now, after having the map laid out and reading the rules i start to wonder if i skip the xmas sale at matrix and start buying into this francise. there's dai senso and some expansions like schiffskrieg and the old scenario generator in my sights... so, what to do?
edit - decided to stick with TK until i need anything more AE, i guess...  :-X

Bison

Interesting I didn't realize that TK included pre-1939 setups and a Pacific campaign game.  I just got into Unconditional Surrender which I believe is very similar in game mechanics but starts in September of 1939.

solops

Europe is presented on two maps. There are three training scenarios, two one-map scenarios and eight two-map scenarios. They start as early as 1937 and as late as 1943. There is an east front scenario and a west front scenario.  The rules and scenarios can be downloaded. The rules are 63 pages long,which is pretty short for this type of game.
Rules as of 2014 -
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/99741/living-rules-axis-empires-totaler-krieg
Scenarios as of 2011.
http://decisiongames.com/AXIS_EMPIRES-TKDS/TK%20Living%20Scenarios%20October%202012.pdf
This scenario booklet adds a ninth, 1944 two-map scenario to those included with the game.

Bison