automatic downloads on some threads

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, August 24, 2015, 12:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

I am getting auto downloads of unknown files when I load forum pages on the china thread, win 10 thread, now the french train thread. Frankly it is creepy.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

undercovergeek

have you got adobe and flash player up to date?

when i got a new laptop a while back i had the same problem

Mr. Bigglesworth

I'm using android, there is no flash. I keep the windows colander off the internet.

I am not implying it is the site, it may be some party using a Trojan to cover those topics.

mirth

I suspect it's some kind of malware unrelated to this site.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on August 24, 2015, 02:15:33 PMI'm using android, there is no flash. I keep the windows colander off the internet.

Check the file names against the YouTube links.  We looked into something similar a while ago and it was the cache of the YouTube file that Android needs to play the files.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

Normally for YouTube the window opens another tab. When you select on that tab the YouTube app loads the same video in it's player.

You are probably right, it is YouTube related. It is still strange.

Bison